DOI of Article
TPWJ, 2015, #8, 14-17 pages
Structure and properties of EB- and TIG-welded joints of high-strength two-phase titanium alloys
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 8, 2015 (August)
S.V. Akhonin, V.Yu. Belous, R.V. Selin, I.K. Petrichenko And E.L. Vrzhizhevsky
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Modern two-phase high-alloyed alloys based on titanium are characterized by a high specific strength. The thermal cycle of welding results in change of structures of weld and HAZ metal and also in deterioration of mechanical characteristics of the joint. In the work the properties of welded joints of titanium alloys VT23, T110 and high-alloyed alloy Ti-6.5Al-3Mo-2.5V-4Nb-1Cr-1Fe-2.5Zr, produced using electron beam and argon arc welding, were evaluated. In weld and HAZ metal of the TIG-welded joints of alloy Ti-6.5Al-3Mo-2.5V-4Nb-1Cr-1Fe-2.5Zr, the structure is formed with a predominance of metastable b-phase and low values of strength and impact toughness, the joints require postweld high-temperature annealing at temperature of not less than 900 °C. The joints of VT23 alloy have high values of strength and impact toughness. High-strength titanium alloy T110 is characterized by good weldability in EBW and TIG welding, has high values of impact toughness of weld metal and HAZ after annealing, the strength of welded joints is at the level of 0.9 of base metal strength. 7 Ref., 2 Tables, 4 Figures.
titanium alloys, tungsten-electrode argon-arc welding, electron beam welding, properties
- Kablov, E.N. (2012) Strategic trends in development of materials and technologies of their recycling for period up to 2030. Aviats. Materialy i Tekhnologii, 8, 7-17.
- Khorev, A.I. (2007) Theory and practice of development of titanium alloys for advanced structures. Tekhnologiya Mashinostroeniya, 12, 5-13.
- Khorev, A.I. (2008) High-strength titanium alloy VT23 and its application in advanced welded structures. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 9, 3-8.
- Zamkov, V.M., Topolsky, V.P., Trygub, M.P. High-strength titanium alloy. Pat. 40087 Ukraine. Publ. 16.06.2003.
- Antonyuk, S.L., Korol, V.N., Molyar, A.G. et al. (2003) Investigation of mechanical properties of forged semi-products of experimental titanium alloy T110. Advances in Electrometallurgy, 3, 27-30.
- Khorev, A.I., Joda, A.V., Krasnozhan, A.I. (1981) Mechanical properties and structure of EB-welded joints of VT23 titanium alloy. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 7, 25-26.
- Zamkov, V.N., Topolsky, V.F., Trofimov, V.A. et al. (2005) Hardening heat treatment, mechanical characteristics and structure of T110 high-strength titanium alloy to be weld. In: Titanium-2005 in CIS, 198-208.