The Paton Welding Journal, 2015, #10, 29-35 pages
Peculiarities of contactless ignitions of alternating current arc
SE Research Engineering Center of Welding and Control in Power Engineering of E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Considered are some important peculiarities of processes of contactless initial and repeated ignitions of alternating current arc in arc and plasma welding as well as electron voltage boosters. The latter generate the pulses of high and increased voltage being injected in inter-electrode gap for process realizing. It is shown that the most reasonable way for improvement of arc exciters and stabilizers is development of voltage boosters so called exciter-stabilizers. They differ by possibility to function in initial and repeated arc ignition modes, i.e. in the mode of stabilizing of alternating current arc burning. Optimized requirements on parameters of pulses generated by these devices are given based on multiple investigations, experience of development and application of voltage boosters. Some peculiarities of designing of combined arc exciter-stabilizers are considered. 32 Ref., 2 Tables.
arc and plasma welding, alternating current, arc stability, glow and arc discharge, ignition voltage, electron arc exciter-stabilizers, energy, amplitude and duration of pulses
- Paton, B.E., Zavadsky, V.A. (1956) Pulse arc ignition in gas-arc and manual arc welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 3, 26-35.
- Lauzhadis, A.I. (1967) Effect of current frequency on stability of arc and manual arc welding process. Ibid., 9, 29-32.
- Leskov, G.I., Lugin, V.P. (1969) Alternating current: Way to welding. Tula: Priok. Kn. Izd.
- Troitsky, V.A. (1981) Method of smooth control of power sources containing longitudinal-capacitive compensation. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 8-12.
- Dymenko, V.V. (1985) Increase in process stability and expansion of technological possibilities of alternating current consumable electrode welding: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn.-Sci. Degree. Kiev.
- (1986) Equipment for arc welding: Refer. Book. Ed. by V.V. Smirnov. Leningrad: Energoatomizdat.
- Pentegov, I.V., Dymenko, V.V., Rymar, S.V. (1995) Selection of open-circuit voltage in sources for alternating current manual arc welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 35-40.
- Paton, B.E., Zaruba, I.I., Dymenko, V.V. et al. (2007) Welding sources with pulse stabilizing of arc burning. Kiev: Ekotekhnologiya.
- Korotynsky, O.E. (2007) High-efficient power sources for arc welding based on inductance-capacitive converters: Syn. of Thesis for Dr. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Kiev.
- Leskov, G.I. (1970) Electric welding arc. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Morozkin, I.S. (2003) Control of welding arc ignition in mechanized modes of surfacing. Rostov-na-Donu: RostGUPS.
- Farson, D., Courardy, C., Talkington, J. et al. (1998) Arc initiation in gas metal arc welding. Welding Research Suppl., 8, 315-321.
- Weinshenk, H.E., Schellhase, M. (1971) Wiederzundugscharakreristiken von Schweisslichtbogen mit abschmelzen der Elektrode. ZIS-Mitt., 13(12), 1706-1720.
- (1974) Technology of fusion electric arc welding of metals and alloys. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Temkin, B.Ya. (1981) Theory and design of arc welding exciters: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Leningrad.
- Dudko, D.A., Fedotenkov, V.G., Makhlin, N.M. (1980) Thyristor generators of current pulses of UPD-1 type. Avtomatich. Svarka, 6, 61-63.
- Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, A.E. (2014) Analysis and procedure of calculation of series connection electronic devices for contactless arc excitation. The Paton Welding J., 1, 30-40. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.01.05
- Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, A.E. (2015) Asynchronous exciters and stabilizers of welding arc. Analysis and design procedure. Part 1. Ibid., 3/4, 24-35. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.04.03
- Makhlin, N.M., Korotynsky, A.E. (2015) Asynchronous exciters and stabilizers of arc. Analysis and calculation procedure. Part 2. Ibid., 7, 26-37. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.07.05
- Rajzer, Yu.P. (1987) Physics of gas discharge. Moscow: Nauka.
- Leskov, G.I., Lugin, V.P. (1971) Investigation of electrical breakdown of gaps between welding electrodes. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 2, 10-11.
- Mick, J., Kregs, J. (1960) Electrical breakdown in gases. Moscow: Inostr. Lit.
- Paton, B.E., Lebedev, V.K. (1966) Electrical equipment for arc and slag welding. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Novikov, O.Ya. (1978) Stability of electric arc. Leningrad: Energiya.
- Pokhodnya, I.K. (1967) Melting of electrode and interaction of metal with gases in arc welding: Syn. of Thesis for Dr. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Kiev.
- Kirdo, I.V. (1956) About mechanism of re-ignition of welding arc. Avtomatich. Svarka, 6, 39-54.
- Shmakov, E.I., Makhlin, N.M., Fedotenkov, V.G. et al. (1978) Application of alternating current for welding of low-alloy and alloy steels, aluminium and its alloys. Montazh. i Spets. Raboty v Stroitelstve, 4, 20-22.
- Aldenhoff, B.J. Alternating current arc power source. Pat. 3328637 A1 USA. Int. Cl. B23K 9/06. Publ. 27.06.1967.
- (2008) Theoretical principles of electrical engineering: Refer. Book on theory of electric circuits. Ed. by Yu.A. Bychkov et al. St.-Petersburg: Piter.
- Andrianov, A.A., Sidorets, V.N. (2009) Optimization of modes for stabilizing of alternating current welding arc. Elektrotekhnika i Elektromekhanika, 2, 5-8.
- Shcherba, A.A., Suprunovskaya, I.N. (2012) Principles of increase in rate of discharge currents rise in loading in limitation of their maximum values. Tekhnichna Elektrodynamika, 5, 3-9.
- Makhlin, N.M., Fedotenkov, V.G., Livshits, D.M. et al. (1979) Suppression of radio interference generated by arc exciter of UPD-1 type. Avtomatich. Svarka, 12, 55-57.