The Paton Welding Journal, 2015, #10, 25-28 pages
Investigation of structure and properties of thermal coatings of WC-Co-Cr system produced by high-velocity methods of spraying
Yu.S. Borisov, E.A. Astakhov, A.P. Murashov, A.P. Grishchenko, N.V. Vigilyanskaya And M.V. Kolomytsev
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Bozhenko Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spraying of coatings of WC-9Co-4Cr powder was performed by high-velocity procedures of thermal spraying, using the methods of detonation, supersonic air-gas plasma (SAGP) and oxy-fuel HVOF spraying. Microstructure and properties of produced coatings were investigated. Analysis of results of the coating structure examination showed that during spraying with these methods the dense coatings are formed, consisting of inclusions of tungsten carbide, uniformly distributed in Co-Cr matrix. Porosity of coatings is less than 1 %. Microhardness of SAGP- and HVOF-sprayed coatings is 11.0-11.7GPa. As to the values of microhardness these coatings are superior to those of the galvanic chromium (10 GPa). Microhardness of the detonation coating is 8.5 GPa. The cause of decrease in hardness of the detonation coating is a partial loss of carbon and appearance of oxide inclusions in it, that is caused by the oxidizing medium of the detonation products. By the complex of characteristics of hardness, adhesion strength (more than 50 MPa) and porosity the coatings of WC-9Co-4Cr system, sprayed by SAGP and HVOF methods, are advantageous as compared with the galvanic chrome-plating. Among the investigated methods of high-velocity thermal spraying of coatings of WC-9Co-4Cr system the SAGP method is characterized by the highest efficiency (15 kg/h). 16 Ref., 2 Tables, 2Figures.
thermal spraying, coating, galvanic chrome-plating, detonation spraying, supersonic air-gas plasma spraying, high-velocity oxy-fuel coating of WC-Co-Cr system, microstructure, porosity, microhardness
- Borisov, Yu.S., Petrov, S.V. (1995) Application of supersonic jets in technology of thermal spraying. Avtomatich. Svarka, 1, 41-44.
- Borisov, Yu.S., Kharlamov, Yu.A., Sidorenko, S.L. et al. (1987) Thermal coatings of powder materials: Refer. Book. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Chivavibul, P., Watanabe, M., Kuroda, S. (2008) Development of WC-Co coatings deposited by warm spray process. J. Thermal Spray Technology, 17(5/6), 750-756. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-008-9271-4
- http://www.tecnospray.net/download/HCST/AMPERITBrochure.pdf AMPERIT Thermal Spray Powders
- http://www.fisherproductsllc.com/pdf/Powder-Br ochure.pdf Praxair Surface Technology, Powder Technology Catalog
- Shtertser, A.A., Smurov, I.Yu., Ulianitsky, V.Yu. et al. (2008) Comparative analysis of tribological properties of cermet detonation sprayed coatings. In: Proc. of ITSC (Maastricht, Netherlands, June 2-4, 2008), 125-131.
- Knapp, J.K., Nitta, H. (1997) Fine-particle slurry wear resistance of selected tungsten carbide thermal spray coatings. Tribology Int., 30(3), 225-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-679X(96)00048-5
- Du, L., Xub, B., Dong, S. (2008) Sliding wear behavior of the supersonic plasma sprayed WC-Co coating in oil containing sand. Surface and Coatings Technology, 202(15), 3709-3714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2008.01.009
- Ma, S., Li, C., Ye, X. (2005) Microstructure and properties of nanostructured WC/Co coating deposited by supersonic plasma spraying. In: Proc. of ITSC (Basel, Switzerland, 2-4 May, 2005), 794-797.
- Matthaeus, G., Brandl, W., Secosan, I.F. (2008) Standard HVOF process compared to the HVOF process for internal coating with fine powders. In: Proc. of ITSC (Maastricht, Netherlands, June 2-4, 2008), 473-476.
- Kirsten, A., Oechsle, M., Moll, R.F. (2005) Carbide containing materials for hard chromium replacement by HVOF-spraying. In: Proc. of ITSC (Basel, Switzerland, 2-4 May, 2005), 957-962.
- Legg, K.O., Graham, M., Chang, P. (1996) The replacement of electroplating. Surface and Coatings Technology, 81(1), 99-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/0257-8972(95)02653-3
- Murthy, J.K.M., Venkataraman, B. (2006) Abrasive wear behavior of WC-Co-Cr and Cr3C2-20(NiCr) deposited by HVOF and detonation spray processes. Ibid., 200(8), 2642-2652.
- Bobzin, K., Kopp, N., Warda, T. (2013) Investigation and characterization of HVOF WC-Co-Cr coatings and comparison to galvanic hard chrome coatings. In: Proc. of ITSC (Busan, South Korea, May 13-15, 2013), 389-394.
- Bolleli, G., Giovanardi, R., (2006) Corrosion resistance of HVOF sprayed coatings for hard chrome replacement. Corrosion Sci., 48(11), 3375-3397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2006.03.001
- Peter, F. (2005) Ruggiero tungsten carbide coatings replace chromium. Advanced Materials and Processes, 7, 39-40.