The Paton Welding Journal, 2016, #11, 9-16 pages
Structure and properties of fully-penetrated metal of two-phase titanium alloy with dispersion hardening at AAW
G.M. Grigorenko, S.V. Akhonin, O.M. Zadorozhnyuk and I.N. Klochkov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Tungsten inert gas welding remains the most widespread, relatively easy and versatile method for manufacture of the structures of titanium alloys. Welding can be performed in different spatial positions and equipment can be sufficiently fast readjusted at change of joint type and thickness of metal being welded. Aim of present work lies in study and comparison of a structure and mechanical properties of fully-penetrated metal of high-strength titanium alloys with dispersion hardening and without it, produced using argon-arc method. It is shown that in comparison with titanium alloy VT23 an experimental dispersion-hardened alloy has higher strength indices of fully-penetrated metal, however ductility and impact toughness are extremely low, therefore this type of welding and heat treatment is not recommended for it. 11 Ref., 6 Tables, 16 Figures.
argon-arc welding, TIG, structure, dispersion hardening, titanium silicides, mechanical properties, heat treatment
- Goldshtejn, M.I., Grachev, S.V., Veksler, Yu.G. (1985) Special steels: Manual for inst. of higher education. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Rzhevskaya S.V. (2004) Materials science: Manual. Moscow: Logos.
- (2003) Metals and alloys: Refer. Book. Ed. by Yu.P. Solntsev. St.-Petersburg: NPO Professional.
- Trefilov, V.I. (1987) Strain hardening and fracture of polycrystalline metals.
- Bochvar, A.A. (2012) Increase in strength or hardening of materials. http://do.gendocs.ru/docs/index-233261.html
- Zamkov, V.N. (1986) Metallurgy and technology of welding of titanium and its alloys. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Grigorenko, G.M., Akhonin, S.V., Taranova, T.G. et al. (2012) Dispersion-hardened titanium alloys of Ti–Si–X system. Sovremennaya Elektrometallurgiya, 1, 45–53.
- NPO Titan. Information. http://www.npctitan.ru/spravka/alloys/23/
- Glazunov, S.G., Moiseev, V.N. (1974) Structural titanium alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Akhonin, S.V., Belous, V.Yu., Muzhichenko, A.F. et al. (2013) Mathematical modeling of structural transformations in HAZ of titanium alloy VT23 during TIG welding. The Paton Welding J., 3, 24–27.
- Grigorenko, G.M., Zadorozhnyuk, O.M. (2012) Dispersion hardening as a way to increase the properties of new generation titanium alloys. Sovremennaya Elektrometallurgiya, 4, 42–50.