DOI of Article
TPWJ, 2018, #10, 2-8 pages
Mathematical modeling of the process of metal heating in continuous flash-butt welding
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #10, 2018 (December)
S.I. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, A.S. Milenin, E.A. Velikoivanenko, E.V. Antipin and A.V. Didkovsky
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
In the last decade, an urgent and practically significant problem has been producing of high-quality joints of high-strength steels and alloys. For its solution the technologies are required which are distinguished by a high-concentration heating at a minimum energy input, including in continuous flash-butt welding of railway rails. To solve this problem, a mathematical model of the process of metal heating in continuous flash-butt welding was developed. The model allows avoiding labor-consuming and expensive experiments and significantly expanding the range of searching the ways of optimizing at a multifactor control of welding parameters, affecting, in particular, the formation of the temperature field in continuous flash-butt welding of rails. 8. Ref., 12 Figures.
continuous flashing, single contact, mathematical modeling, flash-butt welding, current density, efficiency coefficient, crater depth, spark gap, rail
1. (2011) GOST R ISO 15614-13–2009: Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials. Welding procedure test. Pt 13: Resistance butt and flash welding. Moscow, Standartinform [in Russian].
2. TU U 27.1-40081293-002:2016: New welded rails for railways. Dnipropetrovske NKTB, NDKTI PJSC Ukrzaliznytsya [in Ukrainian].
3. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I. (1992) Continuous flash-butt welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
4. Weingrill, L. Enzinger, N. (2017) Temperature fields evolution during flash-butt welding of railway rails. Mater. Sci. Forum, 879, 2088–2093. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.879.2088
5. Orlov, B.D., Chakalev, A.A., Dmitriev, Yu.V. (1986) Technology and equipment for resistance welding. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
6. Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I. (1976) Flash-butt welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
7. Yan Guo Li, Fu Cheng Zang (2010) Numerical simulation of flash-butt welding of high-manganese steel crossing with carbon steel rail. Adv. Mater. Research, 123–125, 571–574.
8. (2005) Processes and mechanisms of welding residual stress and distortion. Ed. by Zhili Feng. Sawston, Woodhead Publishing.