Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), № 4, 2018, pp. 14-17
Effect of basic additives on formation of cracks in welding of copper-nickel alloys and surfacing of monel on steel
V. A. Anoshin, V. M. Ilyushenko and E. P. Lukyanchenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv.
Effect of basic additives on formation of cracks in welding of copper-nickel alloys, including in welding and surfacing of monel-metal on steel, was investigated. Methods of optical metallography and electron-fractography analysis determined that the cracks have intragranular and solidification nature. Emission X-ray spectrum analysis determined significant (27 times) enrichment of gray surface of cracks forming in monel welding. It is shown that oxygen intensifies detrimental effect of sulfur in monel surfacing in contrast to welding of low-carbon steel. Carried theoretical calculations of significant saturation of boundaries of grains with detrimental impurities with small coefficient of distribution are of interest for explaining the reason of solidification crack formation on other nickel alloys. 6 Ref. , 1 Tabl., 4 Fig.
: copper-nickel alloys, detrimental impurities, solidification cracks
- Anoshin, V.A., Ilyushenko, V.M., Bondarenko, A.N. et al. (2014) Integrated evaluation of effect of main impurities on weldability of copper. The Paton Welding J., 11, 24–27. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.11.04
- Smith, V.G., Tiller, W.A., Rutter, G.W. (1955) A mathematical analysis of solute redistribution during solidification. J. Phys., 33(12), 723–745. https://doi.org/10.1139/p55-089
- Prokhorov, N.N. (1968) Physical processes in metals during welding. Vol. 1: Elements of physics of metals and solidification process. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
- Podgaetsky, V.V., Parfesso, G.I. (1977) Cracks of sulfide origin in welding of steel. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
- Yushchenko, K.A., Savchenko, V.S., Chervyakov, N.O. et al. (2011) Comparative evaluation of sensitivity of welded joints on alloy Inconel 690 to hot cracking. The Paton Welding J., 11, 2–7.
- Anoshin, V.A., Gurevich, S.M., Ilyushenko, V.M., Baranova, V.N. et al. (1981) Effect of surface-active elements on deformation capacity of nickel and monel. Svarka, 7, 46–48 [in Russian].