Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #12, 2022, pp. 45-49
Corrosion strength of plasma coatings based on composite powders with FeAl intermetallic
N.V. Vigiliаnska1, O.P. Gryshchenko1, K.V. Iantsevitch1, Z.G. Ipatova1, C. Senderowski2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Warsaw University of Technology. Warsaw Polytechnic University. plac Politechniki 1, 00-661 Warsaw, Poland.
The corrosion strength of plasma coatings made of composite powders based on FeAl intermetallic in different corrosive
environments was investigated. For deposition of coatings, powders based on FeAl intermetallic were used, which was produced
by mechanochemical synthesis with the introduction of additional alloying elements of titanium and magnesium into their
composition. Electrochemical tests of plasma coatings were performed by a potentiostatic method in a 3% NaCl solution and in
a 10% H2SO4 solution. It was revealed that the rate of the corrosion process of plasma coatings of FeAl system depends on the
nature of electrolyte and the mechanism of electrochemical process. Electrochemical studies of plasma coatings of FeAl system
showed that corrosion strength in a 3% NaCl solution is by an order higher than in a 10 % H2SO4 solution. It was found that
introduction of alloying element of titanium to the composite coating based on FeAl intermetallic results in a 2-5 times increase
in corrosion strength of coatings in a 10 % H2SO4 solution. It was shown that plasma coatings based on FeAl intermetallic on
a scale of corrosion strength in a 3% NaCl solution are in the “resistant” group. The electrochemical studies showed the ability
of these protective coatings to operate in salty neutral solutions. 18 Ref., 3 Tabl., 2 Fig.
intermetallics, iron, aluminium, composite powder, plasma coatings, corrosion strength
1. Zamanzade, M., Barnoush, A., Motz, C. (2016) A Review on the properties of iron aluminide intermetallics. Crystals, 6, 1, 10.
2. Palm, M., Stein, F., Dehm, G. (2019) Iron aluminides. Annual Review of Materials Research, 49, 297-326.
3. Yang, D.,Tian, B., Cao, Y. (2011) Microstructures and properties of FeAl coatings prepared by LPPS, APS and HVOF. Proc. of ITSC`2011, 1229-1234.
4. Oliker, V.E., Yakovleva, M.S. (2013). Intermetallides Fe-Al systems: production methods, properties, coatings. Materialovedeniye, 3, 46-53 [in Rissian].
5. Grosdidier, T., Ji Gang, Bernard F. et al. (2006) Synthesis of FeAl nanostructured materials by HVOF spray forming and Spark Plasma Sintering, Intermetallics, 14, 1208-1213.
6. Totemeier, T.C., Swank, W.D. (2002) Microstructure and Stresses in HVOF Sprayed Iron Aluminide Coatings. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 11(3), 2-9.
7. Gang, Ji, Grosdidier, T., Liao, H. et al. (2005) Spray Forming thick Nanostructured and Microstructured FeAl Deposits. Intermetallics, 13, 596-607.
8. Senderowski, C., Bojar, Z. (2008) Cas detonation spray forming of Fe-Al coatings in the presence of interlayer. Surface&CoatingsTechnology, 202, 3538-3548.
9. Ning-Ning, Li, Min-Zhi, Wang, Yong-Sheng, Li, Guang Chen, Pei Li. (2016) Corrosion Behavior of Fe-Al Coatings Fabricated by Pack Aluminizing Method, Acta Metallurgica Sinica, 29 (9), 813-819.
10. Xiao-Lin, Z., Zheng-Jun, Y., Xue-Dong, G. et al. (2009) Microstructure and corrosion resistance of Fe-Al intermetallic coating on 45 steel synthesized by double glow plasma surface alloying technology. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 9(1), 143-148.
11. Maricruz Hernandez, H.B., Liu, J., Alvarez-Ramirez, M., Espinosa-Medina, A. (2017) Corrosion Behavior of Fe-40at.%Al-Based Intermetallic in 0.25 M H2SO4 Solution. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 26(16), 1-14.
12. Vijaya Lakshmi, D., Suresh Babu, P., Rama Krishna, L., Vijay, R. (2021) Corrosion and erosion behavior of iron aluminide (FeAl(Cr)) coating deposited by detonation spray technique. Advanced Powder Technology, 32(7), 2192-2201.
13. Tomaru, M., Yakou, T. (2011) Influence of Additional Element Ni and Cu on Corrosion Resistance of FeAl in HCl Solution. Journal of The Surface Finishing Society of Japan, 62(9), 457-462.
14. Borisov, Yu.S., Borisova, A.L., Burlachenko, A.N. et al. (2017) Structure and properties of alloyed powders based on Fe3Al intermetallic for thermal spraying produced using mechanochemical synthesis method. The Paton Welding J., 9, 33-39.
15. Borisov, Yu.S., Borisova, A.L., Vigilianska, N.V. et al. (2020) Coatings based on Fe-Al intermetallics produced by the methods of plasma and supersonic air-gas plasma spraying. Ibid, 7, 32-40.
16. Alimov, V.I., Duryagina, Z.A. (2012) Corrosion and corrosion protection of metals. Donetsk-Lviv, TOV Skhidnyi Vydavnychyi Dim [in Ukrainian].
17. Myronyuk, I.F., Mykytyn, I.M. (2016) Electrochemistry and their practical aspects: Manual. Ivano-Frankivsk, Prykarp. NU [in Ukrainian].
18. Pokhmurskyi, V.I., Homa, M.S. (2008) Corrosion fatigue of metals and alloys. Lviv, SPOLOM [in Ukrainian].
Advertising in this issue: