Electrometallurgy today, 2017, #3, 25-32 pages
Effect of ageing of reaction multilayer Al/Ni foils on rate of SHS reaction front spreading
S.A. Demchenkov1, A.F. Shishkin2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
G.V. Kurdyumov Institute of Metal Physics, NASU.36, Academician Vernadsky Blvd, 03142, Kiev. E-mail: email@example.com
In the work the effect of structural changes, occurring in multilayer Al/Ni foils during their ageing (at temperature of 250 o
C), on the rate of spreading of SHS reaction front is studied. It is shown that the rate of SHS front during the foil ageing is decreased, and its dependence on time of aging has a non-monotonous nature, It was found that the value of period of alternation of layers components and structure of interlayers, formed at the interface between the layers of Al and Ni, has a significant effect on intensity of reducing the rate of spreading the SHS reaction front in ageing of multilayer foils. Ref. 19, Figures 6.
Key words: electron beam deposition; reaction multilayer foils; Al/Ni; SHS reaction; phase transformations
- Floro, J. (1986) Propagation of explosive crystallization in thin Rh-Si multilayer films. of Vacuum Sci. & Technology A — Vacuum Surfaces and Films, 4, 631–636. https://doi.org/10.1116/1.573848
- Bordeaux, F., Yavari, A. (1990) Ultra rapid heating by spontaneous mixing reactions in metal–metal multilayer composites. of Mater. Research, 5, 1656–1661.
- Bordeaux, F., Yavari, A., Desre, P. (1987) Ultra-rapid heating by exothermic heat of mixing in metal–metal multilayer composites. Revue de Physique Appliquee, 22, 707–711. https://doi.org/10.1051/rphysap:01987002208070700
- Weihs, T.P. (2014) Fabrication and characterization of reactive multilayer films and foils. In: Metallic Films for Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Applications, Woodhead Publish. Ltd., 5, 160–243. https://doi.org/10.1533/9780857096296.1.160
- Braeuer, J., Besser, J., Wiemer, M., Gessner, T. (2011) Room-temperature reactive bonding by using nanoscale multilayer systems. In: IEEE, Proc. of Transducers'11 (June 5–9, Beijing, China), 1332–1335.
- Wiemer, M., Braeuer, J., Wuensch, D., Gessner, T. (2010) Reactive bonding and low temperature bonding of heterogeneous materials. ECS Transact., 33, 307–318.
- Namazu, T., Inoue, S. (2010) Al/Ni self-propagating exothermic film for MEMS application. Sci. Forum, 638–642, 2142–2147. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.638-642.2142
- Boettge, B., Braeuer, J., Wiemer, M. (2010) Fabrication and characterization of reactive nanoscale multilayer systems for low temperature bonding in microsystem technology. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 20, 064018. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/20/6/064018
- Duckham, A., Levin, J., Weihs, T. (2006) Soldering and brazing metals to ceramics at room temperature using a novel nanotechnology. Advances in Sci. and Technol., 45, 1578–1587.
- Van Heerden, D., Rude, T.R., Newson, J. et al. (2004) A tenfold reduction in interface thermal resistance for heat sink mounting. of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, 1(3), 187–193. https://doi.org/10.4071/1551-4897-1.3.187
- Zaporozhets, T.V., Gusak, A.M., Ustinov, A.I. (2010) SHS reactions in nanosized multilayers: Analytical model versus numerical one. J. of Self-Propagating High-Temperature Synthesis, 19, 4, 227–236. https://doi.org/10.3103/S1061386210040011
- Edelstein, S., Everett, R.K., Richardson, G.Y. et al. (1994) Intermetallic phase formation during annealing of AI/Ni multilayers. Appl. Phys., 76(12), 7850–7859. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.357893
- Blobaum, K.J., Van Heerden, D., Gavens, A.J., Weihs, T.P. (2003) Al/Ni formation reactions: characterization of the metastable Al9Ni2 phase and analysis of its formation. Acta Materialia, 51, 3871–3884. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(03)00211-8
- Noro, J., Ramos, A.S., Vieira, M.T. (2008) Intermetallic phase formation in nanometric Ni/Al multilayer thin ?lms. Intermetallics, 16, 1061–1065. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2008.06.002
- Ishchenko, A.Ya., Falchenko, Yu.V., Ustinov, A.I. (2007) Diffusion welding of finely-dispersed AMg5/27%Al2O3 composite with application of nanolayered Ni/Al foil. The Paton Welding J., 7, 2–5.
- Shishkin, A.E., Shishkin, E.A., Ustinov, A.I. (2007) Thermal analysis of microlaminate fillers based on intermetallic-forming elements. Ibid., 12, 23–27.
- Zaporozhets, T.V., Gusak, A.M., Korol', Ya.D., Ustinov, A.I. (2013) Inverse problem for SHS in multilayer nanofoils: Prediction of process parameters for single-stage SHS reaction. J. of Self-Propagating High-Temperature Synthesis, 22(4), 222–231. https://doi.org/10.3103/S1061386213040092
- Ma, E., Thompson, C.V., Clevenger, L.A. (1991) Nucleation and growth during reactions in multilayer Al/Ni films: The early stage of Al3Ni formation. Appl. Phys., 69(4), 2211–2218. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.348722
- Yamamoto, A., Tsubakino, H. (1997) Al9Ni2 precipitates formed in an Al–Ni dilute alloy. Scripta Materialia, 37(11), 1721–1725. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6462(97)00329-1