Electrometallurgy today, 2017, #3, 43-50 pages
Metallurgical methods of improving hydrogen brittleness and crack resistance of heat-resistant nickel alloy
A.I. Balitsky, L.M. Ivaskevich
H.V.Karpenko Physico-Mechanical Institute, NASU. 5, Naukova str., 79601, Lviv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mechanical properties of alloy VZhL-14 (KhN62MTYuL) in cast and powdered state were investigated within the temperature interval of 293…1073 K in vacuum and hydrogen under 35 MPa pressure. It was found that under the hydrogen effect the characteristics of ductility and fracture toughness of cast material , maximum decrease of relative fatigue life of which in hydrogen at 773 K is 90 % of values in vacuum, are most deteriorated. Minimum susceptibility to hydrogen embrittlement is observed in powdered modification of alloy due to higher homogeneous distribution of deformation properties. Ref. 20, Tables 3, Figures 6.
Key words: cast, deformed and powdered alloys; strength; ductility; low-cycle life; fracture toughness
- Khalatov, А.А., Yushchenko, K.A., Isakov, B.V. et al. (2013) Gas turbine engineering in Ukraine: The current state and prospects of development. Nats. Akad. Nauk Ukr., 12, 40–49 [in Ukrainian].
- Paton, B., Khalatov, A., Kostenko, D. et al. (2008) Concept (project) of the state research and development program on Development of Industrial Gas Turbine Engines of New Generation for Gas Industry and Power Engineering. Ibid., 4, 3–9 [in Ukrainian].
- Khimushin, F.F. (1978) High-temperature steels and alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya [in Russian].
- Sims, Ch., Hagel, V. (2004) High-temperature alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya [in Russian].
- Simanovsky, V.M., Maksyuta, I.I., Kvasnitskaya, Yu.G. et al. (2006) Development of new technological process of production of shell ceramic molds on rejected models. Protsessy Litiya, 4, 66–71 [in Russian].
- Zhanga, B., Luc, X., Liua, D., Tao, C. (2012) Influence of recrystallization on high-temperature stress rupture property and fracture behavior of single crystal superalloy. Sci. & Engin. A, 551, 149–153.
- Zhoua, P. J., Yub, J. J., Sunb, X. F. (2012) Influence of Y on stress rupture property of a Ni-based superalloy. Ibid., 551, 236.
- Bancalari, Ed., Chan, P., Diakunchak, I. S. (2007) Advances hydrogen turbine development. In: of 24th Annual Int. Pittsburgh Coal Conf., University of Pittsburgh, 1–16.
- Gray, H. R. (1975) Embrittlement of nickel-, cobalt-, and iron-base superalloys by exposure to hydrogen. National Aeronautics and Space Administration, TND-7805, Washington, D. C.
- Balitskii, A. I., Panasyuk, V. V. (2009) Workability assessment of structural steels of power plant units in hydrogen environments: Strength of materials. Springer + Business Media Inc., 41, 1, 52–57. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-009-9097-4
- Panasyuk, V.V., Dmitrakh, I.M. (2011) Strength of structural metals in water-containing media. Physico-Mechanical Institute (60th anniversary of foundation). Lviv: Spolom, 101–120 [in Ukrainian].
- Balitskii, A. I., Ivaskevich, L. M., Mochulskyi, V. M. (2013) The effect of hydrogen on mechanical properties and fracture toughness of Ni-alloy. In: of 13th Int. Conf. on Fracture (June 16–21, Beijing, China), 1–7.
- Michler, T., Naumann, J., Balogh, M.P. (2014) Hydrogen environment embrittlement of solution treated Fe–Cr–Ni superalloys. Sci. & Engin. A, 607, 71–80.
- Balyts'kyi, O.I., Mochylski, V.М., Ivaskievich, L.М. (2016) Evaluation of the influence of hydrogen on mechanical characteristics of complexly alloyed nickel alloys. Sci., 51(4), 538–547. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11003-016-9873-9
- Balitskii, A., Vytvytskyii, V., Ivaskevich, L., Eliasz, J. (2012) The high- and low-cycle fatigue behaviour of Ni-contain steels and Ni-alloys in high pressure hydrogen. J. of Fatigue, 39, 32–37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2011.05.017
- Balitskii, A., Ivaskevich, L., Mochulskyi, V. (2014) Influence of high pressure and high temperature hydrogen on fracture toughness of Ni-containing steels and alloys. Archive of Mechanical Engineering, 1, LXI, 129–138. https://doi.org/10.2478/meceng-2014-0007
- Tompson, A.U., Bernstejn, I.M. (1985) Role of metallurgical factors of fracture processes with hydrogen involment. Achievements of science on corrosion and technology of protection from it. Corrosion cracking. Moscow: Metallurgiya, 47–149 [in Russian].
- Srouli, J.E. (1977) Fracture toughness in plane deformation. Fracture. Ed. by G. Libovits. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 4, 47–67 [in Russian].
- Balitkii, O. I., Ivaskevich, L. M., Mochulskyi, V. M. (2009 ) Temperature dependences of age-hardening austenitic steels mechanical properties in gaseous hydrogen. Ed. by M. Elboujdaini. In: on CD ROM of the 12th Int. Conf. on Fracture (Ottawa, Canada, July 12–17, 2009). Ottawa, NRC.
- Antsiferov, V.N., Akimenko, V.B., Grevnov, L.M. (1991) Powdered alloyed steels. Moscow: Metallurgiya [in Russian].