SEM, 2020, #1, 26-31 pages
Innovative technology and equipment for growing super-large single-crystals of metals
V.O. Shapovalov, I.V. Sheiko, V.V. Yakusha, O.M. Gnizdylo, Yu.O. Nikitenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The scientific and applied aspects of growing single crystals of refractory metals using plasma and induction heating
sources are considered. The technological advantages of combined plasma-induction heating when growing large single
crystals of refractory metals, in particular tungsten and molybdenum, are shown. The design of the UP-122M pilot plant
for growing flat single crystals of tungsten and molybdenum and its technical characteristics are given. The problems
of formation of the structure of tungsten single crystals under the conditions of hybrid plasma-induction heating are
considered, and its advantages are compared with other heating methods. Ref. 11, Fig. 7.
single crystal; plasma; induction heating; local metal bath; dislocation; layer melting; crystal formation;
1. Latash, Yu.V., Grigorenko, G.M., Kanibolotsky, S.A., Pomarin,
Yu.M. (1981) Method of growing of flat single crystals of
refractory metals. USSR author’s cert. 816205 [in Russian].
2. Latash, Yu.V., Shejko, I.V., Kanibolotsky, S.A., Ivashchuk,
V.A. et al. (1985) Method of producing of flat single
crystals of refractory metals. USSR author’s cert. 1306171
3. Shapovalov, V.O., Torkhov, G.F., Gnizdylo, O.M., Yakusha,
V.V. (2006) Device for growing of single crystals of refractory metals. Ukraine Pat. 81184, Int. Cl. C30B 35/00 [in
4. Latash, Yu.V., Shapovalov, V.A., Shejko, I.V. et al. (1993) Application
of cold sectional wall in plasma-induction heating.
Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 1, 92−94 [in Russian].
5. Burkhanov, G.S., Lyakishev, I.P. (2002) Metallic single crystals.
Moscow, ELIZ [in Russian].
6. Drapela, Ya., Bujnoshkova, K., Kursa, M., Burkhanov, G.S.
et al. (2007) Producing of pure tungsten single crystals by
electron beam melting. Gorny Inform.-Analyt. Bulleten, 2,
213−226 [in Russian].
7. Gorynin, I.V., Burkhanov, G.S., Farmakovsky, B.V. (2012)
Prospects of developments of structural materials based on
refractory metals and compounds. Voprosy Materialovedeniya,
2, 5−15. TsNIIKM Prometej [in Russian].
8. Kalita, V.I., Komlev, D.I. (2008) Plasma coatings with nanocryctalline
and amorphous structure. Moscow, Lider [in Russian].
9. Grigorovich, K.V. (2016) New possibilities of methods for
analysis of functional nanomaterials and high purity substances.
In: Proc. of 6th Int. Conf. with Elements of Scientific
School for Young People on Functional Nanomaterials
and High Purity Substances (3−7 October 2016, Suzdal, RF).
Moscow, IMET, 231−233 [in Russian].
10. Chuvaldeev, V.N. (2004) Nonequilibrium grain boundaries
in metals. Theory and applications. Moscow, Fizmatgiz [in
11. Manokhin, A.I., Burkhanov, G.S. (1997) State-of-the-art of
the problem of metallic single crystals. High purity and single
crystals of metallic materials. Moscow, Nauka, 5−13 [in