SEM, 2020, #3, 18-23 pages
Metal carbonization with different methods of ESR of non-compacted steel chips
Yu.M. Kuskov, O.G. Kuzmenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Investigations of metal carbonization at remelting of chips of four types of steels (high-speed, stamping, hightemperature,
structural) and a high-temperature alloy were performed. It was found that carbonization of electroslag
metal depends both on chemical composition of steel (alloy), and on technological features of melting. The latter
include remelting technique, method and degree of chips cleaning, composition of the used fluxes and temperature
conditions of chips melting in the slag. In most of the cases, carbonization is determined chiefly by presence of LCL
remains in the chips. It is shown that application of current-conducting electrode-mould is recommended for chips
remelting, which allows simplifying the remelting process after achievement of maximum carbonization of the metal.
Ref. 15, Tabl. 7.
chips; electroslag remelting; consumable and nonconsumable electrodes; slag; cleaning; carbonization
1. Kochkin, S.V. (2015) Development of technology of metal
strip recycling by electroslag remelting method. web.snauka.ru/issuses/2015/06/53989 [in Russian].
2. (2017) State statistics service of Ukraine. Economical statistics.
Economical activity. Environment. http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/menu/menu_u/ns.htm [in Ukrainian].
3. Kuskov, Yu.M. (2001) Electroslag remelting of waste of different
enterprises using nonconsumable water-cooled electrode.
Elektrometallurgiya, 2, 24–28 [in Russian].
4. Biktagirov, F.K. (2003) Application of non-consumable
electrode electroslag process for melting, refining and
treatment of metals. Report 2. Advances in Electrometallurgy,
5. Zherebtsov, S.N. (2012) Application of technology of electroslag
remelting of high-alloyed steels and alloys for producing of measuring
billet. Elektrometallurgiya, 4, 32–34 [in Russian].
6. Pershin, P.S. (1962) Cast tool. Moscow-Sverdlovsk, Mashgiz
7. Revis, I.A., Lebedev, T.A. (1972) Structure and properties of
cast cutting tool. Leningrad, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
8. Voronin, A.E., Latash, Yu.V., Nikolaev, V.A. et al. (1976) Investigation
of carbonizing of metal during electroslag process
with graphitized electrode. Spec. Elektrometallurgiya, 32,
22–27 [in Russian].
9. Volkotrub, N.P., Lyuty, I.Yu., Voronin, A.E., Krutikov, R.G.
(1978) Peculiarities of the process of cast iron carburizing in
electroslag treatment. Ibid., 37, 24–30 [in Russian].
10. Voronin, A.E., Latash, Yu.V., Biktagirov, F.K. et al. (1984) Influence
of steel composition on carbon distribution between
slag and metal in electroslag treatment. Ibid., 57, 12–17.
11. Yakovenko, V.A., Lyuty, I.Yu. (1985) Examination of wear of
graphitized electrodes in electroslag process. Problemy Spets.
Elektrometallurgii, 1, 19–24 [in Russian].
12. Yakovenko, V.A., Latash, Yu.V., Lyuty, I.Yu., Konotop, V.F.
(1989) Wear of electrodes of different carbon materials under
conditions of electroslag process. Ibid., 1, 25–28 [in Russian].
13. Davydov, A.K., Goncharov, A.E., Soloviov, G.I., Marfitsin,
V.V. (1997) Electroslag surfacing by graphite electrode. Svarochn.
Proizvodstvo, 6, 47–48 [in Russian].
14. Gokhman, G.Z., Volkov, A.E., Ksyondzyk, G.V., Kuskov
Yu.M. (1985) Electroslag remelting of high-speed steel. Spets.
Elektrometallurgiya, 58, 55–62 [in Russian].
15. Medovar, B.I., Tsykulenko, A,K., Bogachenko A.G., Litvinchuk,
V.M. (1982) Electroslag technology abroad. Kiev, Naukova
Dumka [in Russian]
Advertising in this issue: