SEM, 2021, #1, 9-16 pages
Effect of deofrmation of molten metal drops on their movement and heating in a slag layer at ESR
I.V. Krivtsun, V.M. Sidorets, A.V. Sybir, G.P. Stovpchenko, G.O. Polishko, L.B. Medovar
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., Kyiv, 03150, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A simplified mathematical model of the processes of movement and heating of molten metal drops in liquid slag at ESR
is proposed in two variants of problem definition: the drop preserves its initial spherical shape; the drop is deformed
and takes the shape of a spheroid flattened in the direction of movement. It is shown that drop deformation makes an
essential impact on the velocity and duration of its movement in the layer of slag, as well as on the drop surface area (at
preservation of its volume), which determines the conditions of heating and interaction of drop metal with molten slag.
It was proved that due to increase of surface area and lowering of movement velocity of larger diameter drops, their
heating in the slag layer occurs more effectively, compared to spherical drops. Ref. 16, Tabl. 2, Fig. 11.
electroslag remelting; mathematical modeling; consumable electrode; liquid metal drop; molten slag;
heating; movement; drop deformation
1. Medovar, B.I., Tsykulenko, A.K., Shevtsov, V.L. (1986) Metallurgy of electroslag process. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
2. Gulyaev, I.P., Dolmatov, A.V., Kharlamov, M.Yu. et al. (2015) Arc-plasma wire spraying: An optical study of process phenomenology. J. of Thermal Spray Technology, 24(4), 659-670. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-015-0356-6
3. Chaulet, J., Kharicha, A., Charmond, S. et al. (2020) A 2D multiphase model of drop behavior during electroslag remelting. Metals, 10, 490; DOI:10.3390/met10040490. https://doi.org/10.3390/met10040490
4. Clift, R., Grace, J.R., Weber, M.E. (1978) Bubbles, drops and particles. New-York, London, Academic Press.
5. Michaelides, E.E. (2006) Particles, bubbles & drops: Their motion, heat and mass transfer. World Scientific Publ. https://doi.org/10.1142/6018
6. Medovar, L.B., Stovpchenko, G.P., Sybir, A.V. (2020) Comparison of conditions of mass exchange in electroslag processes with consumable electrode and liquid metal. Uspekhi Fiziki Metallov, 4, 481-500 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/ufm.21.04.481
7. Happel, J., Brenner G., (1976) Hydrodynamics under small Reynolds numbers. Moscow, Mir [in Russian].
8. Brooks, G., Subagyo, Y. Pan (2005) Modeling of trajectory and residence time of metal droplets in slag-metal-gas emulsions in oxygen steel making. Metall. and Material Transact. B, 36, 525-535. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11663-005-0044-x
9. Nanda Kishore, Sai Gu (2011) Momentum and heat transfer phenomena of spheroid particles at moderate Reynolds and Prandtl numbers. Heat Mass Transfer, 54(11-12), 2595-2601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2011.02.001
10. Yang, C., Mao, Z. (2014) Numerical simulation of multiphase reactors with continuous liquid phase. Academic Press.
11. Kharicha, A., Karimi-Sibaki, E., Wu, M. et al. (2018) Review on modeling and simulation of electroslag remelting. Steel Research Int., 89(1). https://doi.org/10.1002/srin.201700100
12. Dudko, D.A., Rublevsky, I.N. (1961) About drop transfer of electrode metal in electroslag welding. Avtomatich. Svarka, 4, 24-31 [in Russian].
13. Polishko, G., Stovpchenko, G., Medovar, L., Kamkina, L. (2019) Physicochemical comparison of electroslag remelting with consumable electrode and electroslag refining with liquid metal. Iron Making & Steel Making, 46(8), 789-793. https://doi.org/10.1080/03019233.2018.1428419
14. Klyuev, M.M., Volkov, S.V. (1984) Electroslag remelting. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
15. Klyuev, M.M., Nikulin, A.A. (1970) Speed of movement and degree of heating of the metal drop in slag during electroslag remelting. Bulleten TsNIICherMet., 4, 32-34 [in Russian].
16. Schmehl, R. (2002) Advanced modeling of droplet deformation and breakup for CFD analysis of mixture preparation. In: Proc. of ILASS-Europe 2002 (Zaragoza, 9-11 September, 2002).
Advertising in this issue: