TPWJ, 2011, #3, 7-12 pages
FRACTURE SURFACE MORPHOLOGY AT FATIGUE OF MIG-WELDED JOINTS OF AMg6 ALLOY
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 3, 2011 (March)
T.M. LABUR, V.A. SHONIN, T.G. TARANOVA, V.A. KOSTIN, V.S. MASHIN and I.N. KLOCHKOV
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Results of examination of structure of fracture surface on samples of MIG-welded joints of AMg6 alloy after cyclic tests with loading cycle asymmetry Rs
= 0.4 and Rs
= -1 are given. Peculiarities of morphology in different fracture regions have been revealed and mechanism of fatigue crack propagation has been established. It is noted that fracture of the welded joints at a microlevel is of a mixed and multi-site nature. High-frequency peening in a narrow AMg6 alloy weld to base metal transition zone using steel strikers provides formation of a smoother geometry of the weld to base metal transition zone and decrease in average values of the stress concentration factor.
arc welding, aluminium alloy, consumable electrode, welded joints, fatigue testing, fracture surface morphology
1. Vladimirov, V.I. (1984) Physical nature of metal fracture. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
2. Botvina, L.R. (1989) Kinetics of fracture of structural materials. Moscow: Nauka.
3. Ivanova, V.S., Botvina, L.R., Kudryashov, V.G. (1971) Strength and plasticity. Fracture under short-term loads. Ductile and brittle fracture: Results of science and technology. Series Metals Science and Heat Treatment. Moscow: VINITI.
4. Kotsanda, S. (1976) Fatigue fracture of metals. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
5. Yakovleva, T.Yu. (2003) Local plastic deformation and fatigue of metals. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
6. Herzberg, R.W. (1989) Deformation and fracture mechanics of structural materials. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
7. Lobanov, L.M., Kirian, V.I., Knysh, V.V. (2006) Increase in life of welded metal structures by high-frequency peening. Fiziko-Khimich. Mekhanika Materialiv, 1, 56-61.
8. Gordeeva, T.A., Zhegina, I.P. (1978) Analysis of fractures in evaluation of reliability of materials. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
9. Ivanova, V.S., Kudryashov, V.G., Kopeliovich, B.A. et al. (1974) Fractography and fracture toughness of aluminium and titanium alloys. Tekhnologiya Lyog. Splavov, 3, 65-70.
10. (1982) Fractography and atlas of fractographs: Refer. Book. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
11. (1987) Fractography as a means of diagnostics of fractured parts. Ed. by M.A. Balter. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
12. (1992) Improvement of welded metal structures. Ed. by M.M. Zherbin. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.