TPWJ, 2017, #12, 29-32 pages
Electroslag surfacing of end faces with large-section electrode in current-supplying mould
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #12, 2017 (December)
Yu.M. Kuskov, V.G. Soloviov and V.A. Zhdanov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
It is proposed to perform electroslag surfacing of end faces with application of current-supplying mould (CSM) and feeding large-section remelting electrode into its central part. Two variants of electric circuits of remelting electrode connection are proposed. In the first circuit the same potential is applied both to consumable and annular nonconsumable (CSM upper section) electrodes. In the second circuit, potentials of both the electrodes are different. The following technique of surfacing was proposed as a result of test surfacing performed with ANF-29 flux in CSM of 180 mm diameter with steel 40 electrodes of 40–130 mm diameter. After setting the slag pool in CSM, it is recommended to conduct the first stage (joining the base and deposited metal) with the first electric circuit. Electrode melting will be slower, but with optimum electric power applied to the slag pool through CSM, it is possible to achieve uniform penetration of base metal. Furtheron, at deposition of subsequent layers with higher efficiency and good quality of the deposited layer, one should proceed to the second electric circuit of remelting electrode connection. 8 Ref., 5 Figures.
ESS of end faces, large-section electrode, CSM, ESS electric circuits, base metal penetration, deposited metal formation, efficiency
- Kuskov, Yu.M., Skorokhodov, V.N., Ryabtsev, I.A. et al. (2001) Electroslag surfacing. Moscow, LCC Nauka i Tekhnologii [in Russian].
- Ponomarenko, V.P.,Shvartser, A.Ya., Stroganova, G.V. (1985) Examination of fusion zone of high-chromium cast iron with high-manganese steel in electroslag surfacing. Metallovedenie i Termich. Obrab. Metallov, 11, 55–58 [in Russian].
- Latash, Yu.V., Medovar, B.I. (1970) Electroslag remelting. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
- Frumin, I.I., Ksendzyk, G.V., Shirin, V.S. (1980) Machine for electroslag remelting and surfacing. USA Pat. 4185628 [in Russian].
- Kuskov, Yu.M. Electroslag remelting in sectional current-supply mold. Svarshchik, 3, 21–23 [in Russian].
- Kuskov, Yu.M., Gordan, G.N., Bogajchuk, I.L. et al. (2015) Electroslag surfacing using discrete materials of different methods of manufacture. The Paton Welding J., 5–6, 30–33. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.06.06
- Kuskov, Yu.M. (2003) A new approach to electroslag welding. Welding J., 4, 42–45.
- Tomilenko, S.V., Kuskov, Yu.M. (1999) Power specifics of electroslag process in current-carrying mold. Svarka, 2, 51–53[in Russian].