The Paton Welding Journal, 2019, #3, 27-33 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #3, 2019 (March)
Application of flux-cored wires at surfacing, remelting and in metallurgy
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The paper presents the history of flux-cored wires appearance and their application as remelted material, both in micrometallurgy (surfacing), and in large-scale metallurgy (electroslag remelting and foundry). Features of technological processes with flux-cored wire application in each of the considered branches are shown. At present technologies ensuring improvement of metal quality in foundry are developing the most actively. Prospects for flux-cored wires application in surfacing from the viewpoint of improvement of their production technology and development of new compositions of deposited metal have largely been exhausted. Technologies of surfacing in a current-supplying mould have certain potential for a wider application, particularly in the field of producing composite layers. Electroslag remelting of metal, as in the years of its development, is mainly focused on producing ingots of a large mass and diameter with application of monolithic electrodes of a large cross-section. 37 Ref., 1 Table, 5 Figures.
Keywords: flux-cored wire, arc surfacing, electroslag remelting, ladle treatment
1. Frumin, I.I. (1961) Automatic electric arc surfacing. Kharkov, Metallurgizdat [in Russian].
2. Pokhodnya, I.K., Suptel, M.A., Shlepakov, V.N. (1972) Fluxcored wire welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
3. Mazur, A.A., Lipodaev, V.N., Pustovojt, S.V., Petruk, V.S. (2017) State-of-the-art of welding equipment and consumables market in Ukraine. The Paton Welding J., 11, 31-37. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.11.05
4. Gladky, P.V., Kondratiev, I.A., Yumatova, V.I., Zhudra, A.P. (1991) Surfacing flux-cored strips and wires: Refer. Book. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
5. Pokhodnya, I.K., Alter, V.F., Shlepakov, V.N. et al. (1980) Manufacture of flux-cored wire. In: Manual for institutes of higher education. Kiev, Vyshcha Shkola [in Russian].
6. (1980) Electroslag welding and surfacing. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
7. Blaskovic, P., Peknitsa, P. (1979) Resistance of deposited by electroslag method rolls for hot rolling of sheet. In: Information documents of CMEA. Kiev, PWI, 1, 49-50.
8. Sokolov, G.N., Filyushin, A.A. (1988) Influence of structure and type of deposited metal on wear resistance of cams of pipe turning machine. Avtomatich. Svarka, 8, 47-49 [in Russian].
9. Sokolov, G.N. (1984) Investigation and development of materials for surfacing of extrusion toolage in production of bearings: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Kiev, PWI [in Russian].
10. Sokolov, G.N., Filyushin, A.A. (1982) Electroslag surfacing of volume ends of die parts. In: Modern methods of surfacing and their application. Kiev, PWI, 84-89 [in Russian].
11. Samsonov, I.G. (1981) Investigation of thermophysical processes in electroslag surfacing with flux-cored wires: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Sverdlovsk, UPI [in Russian].
12. Sokolov, G.N. (2004) Properties of deposited metal used for metallurgical tool hardening. The Paton Welding J., 10, 55-57.
13. Ramacciotti, A., Repetto, E., Sommovigo, P., Sondini, G. (1982) Production of bimetallic mill rolls by method of electroslag surfacing with metal-flux-cored electrodes. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of 7th Int. Conf. on Vacuum Metallurgy, Special Types of Melting and Metallurgical Coatings (Japan, Tokyo, 26-30 November, 1982). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, Issue 8, 130-136.
14. Sushchuk-Slyusarenko, I.I., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, M.G. et al. (1989) Electroslag welding and surfacing in repair works. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
15. Kuskov, Yu.M. (2003) A new approach to electroslag welding. Welding J., 4, 42-49.
16. Sokolov, G.N., Lysak, V.I. (2005) Surfacing of wear-resistant alloys on pressing tools and tools for hot working of steels. Volgograd, RPK Politekhnik [in Russian].
17. Korolyov, N.V., Platonov, A.G., Mukhin, D.V. (1992) Peculiarities of melting of wire electrodes in electroslag surfacing. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 3, 26-28 [in Russian].
18. Daemen, R.A., Blaskovic, P. (1970) Pridavne materialy pre electroskove navaranie ocel'ovych valcov valcovacich stolic. Zvaranie, 8, 234-239 [in Slovakian].
19. Leveau, J. (1973) Electroslag melting with addition of metal powders. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of 3rd Int. Symp. on Technology of Electroslag Remelting (USA, Pittsburg, 8-10 June 1971). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 26-33.
20. Descamp, J., Etienne, M. (1974) State-of-the art of the process of continuous electroslag remelting of powders. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Technology of Electroslag Remelting (Great Britain, Sheffield, 10-11 January 1973). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, Issue 2, 202-210.
21. Parsons, R.S. (1973) Production of tool steels by method of continuous electroslag remelting of powders. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of 3rd Int. Symp. on Technology of Electroslag Remelting (USA, Pittsburg, 8-10 June 1971). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 243-251.
22. Marchenko, I.K., Tsarev, A.V., Galentovsky, G.G., Khejfets, V.G. (1990) Resource-saving technology and equipment for ladle treatment of liquid steel. Tyazholoe Mashinostroenie, 5, 28-29 [in Russian].
23. Dyudkin, D.A., Marintsev, S.N., Onishchuk, V.P., Grinberg, S.E. (2000) Technical and economic efficiency of cast iron and steel treatment with flux-cored wires. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 1-2, 41-42 [in Russian].
24. (1989) Calcium treatment of steel. Ed. by B.I. Medovar. In: Proc. of Int. Symp. on Calcium Treatment of Steel (Great Britain, Glasgow, 30 June 1988). Kiev, PWI.
25. Kablukowsky, A.F., Zinchenko, S.D., Nikulin, A.N. et al. (2006) Ladle treatment of steel with flux-cored wire. Moscow, Metallurgizdat [in Russian].
26. Wisser, H.-J., Boom, R., Biglari, M. (2008) Simulation of the Ca-treatment of Al-killed liquid steel. La Revue de Metallurgie, CIT, 4, 172-180. https://doi.org/10.1051/metal:2008029
27. Wen Yang, Lifeng Zhang, Xinhua Wang et al. (2013) Characteristics of inclusions in low carbon Al-killed steel during ladle furnace refining and Ca treatment. ISIJ Int., 53(8), 1401-1410. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.53.1401
28. Dyudkin, D.A., Bat, S.Yu., Grinberg, S.E. et al. (2002) Ladle treatment of melt with flux-cored wires. Donetsk, OOO Yugo-Vostok [in Russian].
29. Dyudkin,D.A., Kisilenko, V.V., Pavlyuchenkov, I.A., Bolotov, V.Yu. (2007) Precision treatment of metallurgical melts. Moscow, Teplotekhnik [in Russian].
30. Titievsky, V.I., Bordyugov, V.N. (2000) Technological complex for introduction of flux-cored wire into liquid metal. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 1-2, 7-9 [in Russian].
31. Dyudkin, D.A., Kisilenko, V.V., Matochnik, V.A. et al. (2006) Application of flux-cored wire with silicocalcium filling for ladle treatment of steel in Belarusian metallurgical plant. Elektrometallurgiya, 6, 16-20 [in Russian].
32. Nosochenko, O.V., Trotsan, A.I., Chichkarev, E.A. et al. (2003) Rational mode of steel treatment in cold hearth with flux-cored and solid wires. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 7-8, 28-30 [in Russian].