Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #3, 2019, pp. 38-46
Application of flux-cored wires at surfacing, remelting and IN metallurgy
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine. 03150, 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., Kyiv, Ukraine.
The paper presents the history of flux-cored wires appearance and their application as remelted material, both in micrometallurgy (surfacing), and in large-scale metallurgy (electroslag remelting and foundry). Features of technological processes with flux-cored wire application in each of the considered areas are shown. At present technologies ensuring improvement of metal quality in foundry are developing the most actively. Prospects for flux-cored wires application in surfacing from the viewpoint of improvement of their production technology and development of new compositions of deposited metal have largely been exhausted. Technologies of surfacing in a current-supplying mould have certain potential for a wider application, particularly in the field of producing composite layers. Electroslag remelting of metal, as in the years of its development, is mainly focused on producing ingots of a large mass and diameter with application of monolithic electrodes of a large cross-section. 32 Ref., 5 Fig.
Keywords: flux-cored wire, arc surfacing, electroslag remelting, ladle treatment
1. Frumin, I.I. (1961) Automatic electric arc surfacing. Kharkov, Metallurgizdat [in Russian].
2. Pokhodnya, I.K., Suptel, M.A., Shlepakov, V.N. (1972) Fluxcored wire welding. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
3. Mazur, A.A., Lipodaev, V.N., Pustovojt, S.V., Petruk, V.S. (2017) State-of-the-art of welding equipment and consumables market in Ukraine. The Paton Welding J., 11, 31-37. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.11.05
4. Gladky, P.V., Kondratiev, I.A., Yumatova, V.I., Zhudra, A.P. (1991) Surfacing flux-cored strips and wires: Refer. Book. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
5. Pokhodnya, I.K., Alter, V.F., Shlepakov, V.N. et al. (1980) Manufacture of flux-cored wire. In: Manual for institutes of higher education. Kiev, Vyshcha Shkola [in Russian].
6. (1980) Electroslag welding and surfacing. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
7. Blaskovic, P., Peknitsa, P. (1979) Resistance of deposited by electroslag method rolls for hot rolling of sheet. In: Information documents of CMEA. Kiev, PWI, 1, 49-50.
8. Sokolov, G.N., Filyushin, A.A. (1988) Influence of structure and type of deposited metal on wear resistance of cams of pipe turning machine. Avtomatich. Svarka, 8, 47-49 [in Russian].
9. Sokolov, G.N. (1984) Investigation and development of materials for surfacing of extrusion toolage in production of bearings: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Kiev, PWI [in Russian].
10. Sokolov, G.N., Filyushin, A.A. (1982) Electroslag surfacing of volume ends of die parts. In: Modern methods of surfacing and their application. Kiev, PWI, 84-89 [in Russian].
11. Samsonov, I.G. (1981) Investigation of thermophysical processes in electroslag surfacing with flux-cored wires: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Sverdlovsk, UPI [in Russian].
12. Sokolov, G.N. (2004) Properties of deposited metal used for metallurgical tool hardening. The Paton Welding J., 10, 55-57.
13. Ramacciotti, A., Repetto, E., Sommovigo, P., Sondini, G. (1982) Production of bimetallic mill rolls by method of electroslag surfacing with metal-flux-cored electrodes. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of 7th Int. Conf. on Vacuum Metallurgy, Special Types of Melting and Metallurgical Coatings (Japan, Tokyo, 26-30 November, 1982). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, Issue 8, 130-136.
14. Sushchuk-Slyusarenko, I.I., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, M.G. et al. (1989) Electroslag welding and surfacing in repair works. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
15. Kuskov, Yu.M. (2003) A new approach to electroslag welding. Welding J., 4, 42-49.
16. Sokolov, G.N., Lysak, V.I. (2005) Surfacing of wear-resistant alloys on pressing tools and tools for hot working of steels. Volgograd, RPK Politekhnik [in Russian].
17. Korolyov, N.V., Platonov, A.G., Mukhin, D.V. (1992) Peculiarities of melting of wire electrodes in electroslag surfacing. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 3, 26-28 [in Russian].
18. Daemen, R.A., Blaskovic, P. (1970) Pridavne materialy pre electroskove navaranie ocel'ovych valcov valcovacich stolic. Zvaranie, 8, 234-239 [in Slovakian].
19. Leveau, J. (1973) Electroslag melting with addition of metal powders. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of 3rd Int. Symp. on Technology of Electroslag Remelting (USA, Pittsburg, 8-10 June 1971). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 26-33.
20. Descamp, J., Etienne, M. (1974) State-of-the art of the process of continuous electroslag remelting of powders. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Technology of Electroslag Remelting (Great Britain, Sheffield, 10-11 January 1973). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, Issue 2, 202-210.
21. Parsons, R.S. (1973) Production of tool steels by method of continuous electroslag remelting of powders. Electroslag remelting. In: Proc. of 3rd Int. Symp. on Technology of Electroslag Remelting (USA, Pittsburg, 8-10 June 1971). Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 243-251.
22. Marchenko, I.K., Tsarev, A.V., Galentovsky, G.G., Khejfets, V.G. (1990) Resource-saving technology and equipment for ladle treatment of liquid steel. Tyazholoe Mashinostroenie, 5, 28-29 [in Russian].
23. Dyudkin, D.A., Marintsev, S.N., Onishchuk, V.P., Grinberg, S.E. (2000) Technical and economic efficiency of cast iron and steel treatment with flux-cored wires. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 1-2, 41-42 [in Russian].
24. (1989) Calcium treatment of steel. Ed. by B.I. Medovar. In: Proc. of Int. Symp. on Calcium Treatment of Steel (Great Britain, Glasgow, 30 June 1988). Kiev, PWI.
25. Kablukowsky, A.F., Zinchenko, S.D., Nikulin, A.N. et al. (2006) Ladle treatment of steel with flux-cored wire. Moscow, Metallurgizdat [in Russian].
26. Wisser, H.-J., Boom, R., Biglari, M. (2008) Simulation of the Ca-treatment of Al-killed liquid steel. La Revue de Metallurgie, CIT, 4, 172-180. https://doi.org/10.1051/metal:2008029
27. Wen Yang, Lifeng Zhang, Xinhua Wang et al. (2013) Characteristics of inclusions in low carbon Al-killed steel during ladle furnace refining and Ca treatment. ISIJ Int., 53(8), 1401-1410. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.53.1401
28. Dyudkin, D.A., Bat, S.Yu., Grinberg, S.E. et al. (2002) Ladle treatment of melt with flux-cored wires. Donetsk, OOO Yugo-Vostok [in Russian].
29. Dyudkin,D.A., Kisilenko, V.V., Pavlyuchenkov, I.A., Bolotov, V.Yu. (2007) Precision treatment of metallurgical melts. Moscow, Teplotekhnik [in Russian].
30. Titievsky, V.I., Bordyugov, V.N. (2000) Technological complex for introduction of flux-cored wire into liquid metal. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 1-2, 7-9 [in Russian].
31. Dyudkin, D.A., Kisilenko, V.V., Matochnik, V.A. et al. (2006) Application of flux-cored wire with silicocalcium filling for ladle treatment of steel in Belarusian metallurgical plant. Elektrometallurgiya, 6, 16-20 [in Russian].
32. Nosochenko, O.V., Trotsan, A.I., Chichkarev, E.A. et al. (2003) Rational mode of steel treatment in cold hearth with flux-cored and solid wires. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 7-8, 28-30 [in Russian].