TPWJ, 2019, #5, 18-27 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #5, 2019 (May)
Structure and phase composition of ZrB2–SiC–AlN plasma coatings on the surface of C/C–SiC composite material
Yu.S. Borisov1, A.L. Borisova1, A.P. Grishchenko1, N.V. Vigilyanskaya1, M.V. Kolomytsev1 and M.A. Vasilkovskaya2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
I.M. Frantsevich IPM of the NAS of Ukraine
3 Krzhizhanovskii str., 03142, Kyiv, Ukraine
The process of protective plasma ZrB2
–SiC–AlN coating deposition on the surface of C/C–SiC composite material was studied. Coating was sprayed using subsonic Ar/N2
-plasma jet and supersonic jet of air-gas plasmatron. The role of interphase phenomena occurring during plasma spraying in the volume of particles of ZrB2
–SiC–AlN composite powder in formation of the coating layer was established. It is shown that the composition and velocity of the plasma spray jet affects the structure and phase composition of the forming ZrB2
–SiC–AlN coating. Resistance of the produced coatings to thermal cyclic heating was tested by a flame jet of oxygen-propane-butane torch. Coating of 400 mm thickness showed concervation of protective properties after 15 thermal cycles. Effect of thermal cyclic heating on formation of a three-zone structure in the protective coating, as a result of oxidation process was studied. Its texture and phase composition was examined by XRD and MXRD techniques. It is found that the surface layer of the coating after thermal cyclic heating consists of Al2
-based matrix with submicron ZrO2
inclusions. 25 Ref., 3 Tables, 9 Figures.
plasma spraying, protective coating, composite material, ultra high temperature ceramics, microstructure, phase composition, interphase interaction, oxide microinclusions
1. Sorokin, O.Yu., Grashchenkov, D.V., Solntsev, S.St., Evdokimov, S.A. (2014) Ceramic composite materials with high oxidation resistance for perspective aircrafts (Review). Trudy VIAM, 06-08 [in Russian].
2. Roger, R., Naslain, R. (2005) Fiber-reinforced ceramic matrix composites: state of the art, challenge and perspective. Composites, 5(1), 3-19.
3. Krenkel, W., Berndt, F. (2005) C/C-SiC composites for space applications and advanced friction systems. Mat. Sci. and Engng. A, 412, 177-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2005.08.204
4. Heidenreich, B. (2007) Carbon fibre reinforced SiC materials based on melt infiltration. Proc. of 6th Int. Conf. on High Temperature Ceramic Matrix Composites (HTCMC 6).
5. Kumar, S., Chandra, R., Kumar, A. et al. (2015) C/SiC composites for propulsion application. Composites and Nanostructures, 7(4), 225-230.
6. Tkachenko, L.A., Shuvalov, A.Yu., Berlin, A.A. (2012) High-temperature protective coatings of carbon materials. Neorganicheskie Materialy, 48(3), 261-271 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0020168512030168
7. Lebedeva, Yu.E., Popovich, N.V., Orlova, L.A. (2013) Hightemperature protective coatings for composite materials based on SiC. Trudy VIAM, 12, 1-7 [in Russian].
8. Xiang Yang, Chen Zhao-hui, Cao Feng (2014) High-temperature protective coatings for C/SiC composites. J. of Asian Ceramic Societies, 2(4), 305-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jascer.2014.07.004
9. Sufang Tang, Jingyi Deng, Shijun Wang et al. (2007) Ablation behaviours of ultra-high temperature ceramic composites. Mat. Sci. and Engng. A, 465, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2007.02.040
10. Marschall, J., Pejakovic, D.A., Fahrenholtz, W.G. et al. (2009) Oxidation of ZrB2-SiC ultrahigh-temperature ceramic composites in dissociated air. J. of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 23(2), 267-278. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.39970
11. Valente, T., Bartuli, C., Visconti, G., Tului, M. (2000) Plasma sprayed ultra high temperature ceramics for thermal protection systems. In: Proc. ITSC'2000, 837-841.
12. Bartuli, C., Valente, T., Tului, M. (2001) High temperature behavior of plasma sprayed ZrB2-SiC composite coatings. In: Thermal Spray 2001: New Surfaces for a New Millenium. Ohio, USA, 259-262.
13. Bartuli, C., Valente, T., Tului, M. (2002) Plasma sprayed deposition and high temperature characterization of ZrB2-SiC protective coatings. Surfaces and Coating Technology, 155, 260-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(02)00058-0
14. Tului, M., Ruffini, F., Arezzo, F. et al. (2002) Some properties of atmospheric air and inert gas high-pressure plasma sprayed ZrB2 coatings. Ibid., 151-152, 483-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(01)01572-9
15. Tului, M., Marino, G., Valente, T. (2006) Plasma spray deposition of ultra high temperature ceramics. Ibid., 201, 2103-2108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2006.04.053
16. Tului, M., Lionetti, S., Pulci, G. et al. (2008) Effects of heat treatments on oxidation resistance and mechanical properties of ultra high temperature ceramic coatings. Ibid., 202, 4394-4398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2008.04.015
17. Tului, M., Lionetti, S., Pulci, G. et al. (2010) Zirconium diboride based coatings for thermal protection of re-entry vehicles: Effect of MoSi2 addition. Ibid., 205, 1065-1069. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.07.120
18. Zou, B., Khan, Z.S., Fan, X. et al. (2013) A new double layer oxidation resistant coating based on Er2SiO8/LaMgAl11O19 deposited on C/SiC composites by atmospheric plasma spraying. Ibid., 219, 101-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2013.01.011
19. Zou, B., Khan, Z.S., Gu, L., Fan, X. et al. (2012) Microstructure, oxidation protection and failure mechanism of Yb2SiO5/LaMgAl11O19 coating deposited on C/SiC composites by atmospheric plasma spraying. Corrosion Sci., 62, 192-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2012.05.020
20. Grigoriev, O.N., Panasyok, A.D., Podchernyaeva, I.A. et al. (2018) Mechanism of high-temperature oxidation of composite ceramics based on ZrB2 of ZrB2-SiC-AlN system. Poroshk. Metallurgiya, 1/2, 93-98 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11106-018-9956-2
21. Borisov, Yu.S., Krivtsun, I.V., Eritt, U. (2000) Computer modelling of plasma spraying process. The Paton Welding J., 12, 40-50.
22. Petrov, S.V., Karp, I.N. (1993) Plasma gas-air spraying. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
23. Ordanyan, S.S., Dmitriev, A.I., Moroshkina, E.S. (1987) Interaction of SiC with ZrB2. Izv. AN SSSR. Neorganicheskie Materialy, 1752-1754 [in Russian].
24. Krivoshein, D.A., Maurakh, M.A., Dergunova, V.S. et al. (1980) Mechanism of formation of glass-like films on surface of material of ZrB2-ZrC-SiC-C system in its oxidation. Poroshk. Metallurgiya, 8, 58-62 [in Russian].
25. Toropov, N.I., Barzakovsky, V.P., Lapin, V.V. et al. (1972) State diagrams of silicate systems: Handbook, Issue 3. Leningrad, Nauka, 290-293 [in Russian].