TPWJ, 2019, #9, 40-42 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #9, 2019 (October)
Calculation of the radius of transition of the weld to base metal of aluminium alloy welded joints
A.V. Moltasov and I.N. Klochkov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The objective of the work was establishing a mathematical dependence between the radius of the weld transition to base metal and ratio of weld height to its width in butt welded joints of aluminium alloys. During investigations, the authors used the published data on geometrical dimensions of butt joints of aluminium alloys of the second, fifth, sixth and seventh series to DSTU ISO 209-1:2002 made by consumable and nonconsumable electrode argon-arc welding, as well as consumable electrode pulsed-arc welding. When plotting the sought dependencies, regression analysis was conducted with application of MathCAD system. An analytical formula was obtained in the form of a polynomial with fractional powers to determine the radius of weld transition to base metal, as a function of the ratio of reinforcement height to its width on the joint face side. It is found that the proposed formula can also be recommended for determination of the radius of transition of the weld back bead to base metal. 19 Ref., 3 Tables, 2 Figures.
Keywords: butt welded joint, aluminium alloys, gas-shielded welding, weld geometry, radius of weld transition to base metal, back bead, regression analysis
1. Trufyakov, V.I., Dvoretsky, V.I., Mikheev, P.P. et al. (1990) Strength of welded joints under alternating loads. Ed. by V.I. Trufyakov. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
2. Navrotsky, D.I. (1968) Design of welded structures taking into account stress concentration. Leningrad, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
3. Lakhtin, Yu.M. (1983) Physical metallurgy and heat treatment of metals. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
4. Vinokurov, V.A. (1973) Stress-relief tempering of welded structures. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
5. Makarov, I.I., Lutsuk, O.A., Grebenchuk, V.G. (1977) Influence of fillet weld parameters on fatigue strength of welded T-joints. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 6, 18-21 [in Russian].
6. Asnis, A.E., Ivashchenko, G.A., Anderson, Ya.E. (1982) Influence of radius of weld transition to base metal on fatigue resistance of welded joints. Avtomatich. Svarka, 4, 48-51 [in Rusian].
7. Moltasov, A.V. (2017) Approximate calculation of radius of weld transition to base metal of welded butt joint by normalized parameters. The Paton Welding J., 9, 50-52. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.09.09
8. Berezovsky, B.M., Stikhin, V.A. (1977) Influence of surface tension forces on formation of weld reinforcement. Svaroch. Proizvodstvo, 1, 51-53 [in Russian].
9. Mashin, V.S., Pashulya, M.P., Shonin, V.A., Klochkov, I.N. (2010) Consumable electrode pulsed argon-arc welding of sheet aluminium alloys. The Paton Welding J., 5, 38-41.
10. Shonin, V.A., Yakubovsky, V.V., Ignatiev, V.G. (1991) Resistance to low-cycle fatigue of welded joints of 1915T alloy panels. Ibid., 1, 22-25 [in Russian].
11. Shonin, V.A., Gushcha, O.I., Mashin, V.S. et al. (2005) Influence of sizes of welded joint sample of aluminium alloy on residual stress intensity and fatigue resistance. Ibid., 2, 21-31 [in Russian].
12. Kirian, V.I., Knysh, V.V., Kovalchuk, V.S., Solovej, S.A. et al. (2011) Study of fatigue resistance of aluminium alloy welded joints performed by modern welding methods. In: Report on research (Conclus.). Kiev, PWI [in Russian].
13. Kyryan, V.I., Shonin, V.A., Klochkov, I.M. et al. (2009) Service life of butt joints of aluminium alloys AMg6 and D16 sheets made by consumable electrode welding (MIG Pulse). Mekhanika i Phisyka Rujnuvannya Bud. Materialiv i Konstruktsij, 8, 189-203 [in Ukrainian].
14. Knysh, V.V., Klochkov, I.N., Pashulya, M.P., Motrunich, S.I. (2014) Increase of fatigue resistance of sheet welded joints of aluminum alloys using high-frequency peening. Ibid., 5, 21-27. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.05.04
15. Kirianov, D.V. (2007) Mathcad 14. St.-Petersburg, BKhVPeterburg [in Russian].
16. Tsumarev, Yu.A. (2010) Influence of asymmetry of one-sided butt welds on stress distribution in welded joint. Svarka i Diagnostika, 5, 24-27 [in Russian].
17. Lin, M.L., Eagar, T.W. (1985) Influence of arc pressure on weld pool geometry. Welding J., 6, 163-169.
18. Mashin, V.S., Pashulya, M.P. (2010) Features of consumable electrode pulsed-arc welding of aluminium alloys without application of forming backing elements. The Paton Welding J., 3, 43-49.
19. Rabkin, D.M., Ignatiev, V.G., Dovbishchenko, I.V. (1982) Arc welding of aluminium and its alloys. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].