TPWJ, 2019, #10, 33-40 pages
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #10, 2019 (November)
Electroslag welding process. Analysis of the state and tendencies of development (Review)
B.E. Paton, K.A. Yushchenko, S.M. Kozulin and I.I. Lychko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The paper presents the results of analytical review of investigations and commercial application of electroslag welding and surfacing in Ukraine, as well as foreign countries from the beginning of the XXI century. Analysis showed that the volume of application of electroslag welding of thick metal (more than 100 mm) in different branches of industry has noticeably decreased. However, stable growth of its application in the recent years has been noted in construction of bridges and high-rise buildings, ship building, as well as repair of large parts of machines on-site. The developed steels having low sensitivity to grain growth in the heat-affected zone, allowed expanding the range of products made by electroslag welding. There is a considerable increase of the volume of application of electroslag surfacing with strip electrode for anticorrosion coatings in pressure vessels, separators, steam generators, compressors and other equipment, being operated in oil and gas, power, metallurgical, paper-and-pulp and chemical industries. 51 Ref., 5 Figures.
electroslag welding, electroslag surfacing, welding equipment, technology, wire electrode, consumable nozzle, strip electrode, specific energy input, heat input, steel, heat-affected zone, impact toughness
1. Voloshkevich, G.Z. (1956) Method of electric fusion welding. USSR author's cert. 104248, Int. Cl. 21 B 29/13 [in Russian].
2. (1980) Electroslag welding and surfacing. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
3. Sushchuk-Slyusarenko, I.I., Lychko, I.I. (1990) Technology and equipment for electroslag welding. Kiev, PWI [in Russian].
4. Paton, B.E., Dudko, D.A., Yushchenko, K.A. et al. (1997) Electroslag welding: Main results and prospects of development. Avtomatich. Svarka, 5, 32-42 [in Russian].
5. Medovar, B.I., Tsykulenko, A.K., Bogachenko, A.G., Litvinchuk, V.M. (1982) Electroslag technology abroad. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
6. Lychko, I.I., Sushchuk-Slyusarenko, I.I., Yushchenko, K.A., Blinov, V.A. (1999) Peculiarities of ESW of thick-wall extended butt joints from steel of 18-8 type. Avtomatich. Svarka, 9, 61-65 [in Russian].
7. Lankin, Yu.N., Moskalenko, A.A., Tyukalov, V.G. et al. (2008) Experience of application of electroslag welding in mounting of metallurgical equipment. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 6, 32-36 [in Russian].
8. Zhuk, G.V., Semenenko, A.V., Lychko, I.I. et al. (2016) Ash115M2 machine for electroslag welding of vertical, inclined and curvilinear butt joints. The Paton Welding J., 10, 44-45. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.10.09
9. Nevidomsky, V.A., Krasilnikov, S.G., Panin, A.D. et al. (2002) New machine for electroslag welding of large parts at JSC «NKMBF». Ibid., 2, 49-51.
10. Yushchenko, K.A., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, S.M. et al. (2012) Portable apparatus for consumable-nozzle electroslag welding. Ibid., 8, 45-46.
11. Lankin, Yu.N. (2007) Computer system of monitoring the technological parameters of ESW. Ibid., 5, 48-50.
12. Paton, B.E., Dudko, D.A., Palti, A.M. et al. (1999) Electroslag welding (Prospects of development). Avtomatich. Svarka, 9, 4-6 [in Russian].
13. Egorova, S.V., Sterenbogen, Yu.A., Yurchishin, A.V. et al. (1980) New structural steels not requiring normalizing after electroslag welding. Ibid., 6, 44-47 [in Russian].
14. Sineok, A.G., Demchenko, Yu.V., Proskudin, V.N. et al. (2015) Substantiation of economic efficiency for application of different methods of welding and steels for repair of blast-furnace jacket No. 4 of PJSC «Azovstal Iron and Steel Works». Svarshchik, 4, 18, 21 [in Russian].
15. Akihiko Kojima, Akihito Kiyose, Ryuji Uemori et al. (2004) Super high HAZ toughness technology with fine microstructure imparted by fine particles. Nippon Steel Technical Report, No. 90, July 1-6.
16. Kojima, Ken-Ichi Yoshii, Tomohiko Hada (2014) Development of high HAZ toughness steel plates for box columns with high heat input welding. Nippon Steel Technical Report, No. 90, July 39-49.
17. Paton, B.E., Lychko, I.I., Yushchenko, K.A. et al. (2013) Melting of electrode and base metal in electroslag welding. The Paton Welding J., 7, 31-38.
18. Lychko, I.I., Yushchenko, K.A., Suprun, S.A., Kozulin, S.M. (2019) Peculiarities of electrode and base metal melting in electroslag welding. Ibid., 3, 6-10. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2019.03.01
19. Lankin, Yu.N., Sushy, L.F. (2009) Electrical conductivity of slag pool in electroslag welding with wire electrode. Ibid., 12, 37-38.
20. Lankin, Yu.N., Tyukalov, V.G., Moskalenko, A.A. et al. (2004) Application of electroslag welding in repair of blast furnace body at OJSC «KGMK Krivorozhstal». Ibid., 5, 26-28.
21. Yushchenko, K.A., Kozulin, S.M., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, M.G. (2014) Joining of thick metal by multipass electroslag welding. Ibid., 9, 30-33. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.09.04
22. Kozulin, S.M., Lychko, I.I., Podyma, G.S. (2008) Electroslag surfacing of rotating kiln gear shaft teeth. Ibid., 5, 31-34.
23. Kuskov, Yu.M. (1999) Surfacing in current-conducting mould - perspective direction for development of electroslag technology. Avtomatich. Svarka, 9, 76-80 [in Russian].
24. Paton, B.E., Yushchenko, K.A., Lychko, I.I. (2003) Method of electroslag welding or surfacing. Ukraine Pat. 68576A [in Ukrainian].
25. Lankin, Yu.N., Demchenko, Yu.V., Moskalenko, A.A. et al. (2019) Electroslag welding of billet of body of traction electric motor at PJSC NPO «Dnepropress». Svarshchik, 3, 28-29 [in Russian].
26. Yushchenko, K.A., Lychko, I.I., Kozulin, S.M. et al. (2018) Application of welding in construction. The Paton Welding J., 9, 23-27. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.09.05
27. Shapovalov, K.P., Belinsky, V.A., Merzlyakov, A.E. et al. (2016) Electroslag welding of large-sized press frame. Ibid., 8, 36-39. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.08.07
28. Zorin, I.V., Sokolov, G.N., Tsurikhin, S.N. et al. (2005) Restoration of working surfaces of parts and assembly-welding tooling by electroslag method using composite heat-resistant materials. Sborka v Mashinostroenii, Priborostroenii, 5, 17-20 [in Russian].
29. (2017) Made in USSR: Electroslag welding of thick-wall vessels is renewed at Sibenergomash-BKZ. TEK Community. http://www.energyland.info/analitic-show-165713'); ?>
30. (2016) 24ri.ru/down/open/tehnologicheskij-proryv-v-proizvodstve-konverterov-na-juzhuralmashe.html
31. Podrezov, N.N. Development of technological bases of electroslag welding of pure vessel steels for NPP: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree [in Russian].
32. Merabishvili, M.O. (2013) LLC «Tyazhmekhpress» is a leader in manufacturing of press-forging equipment. Zagotovitelnye Proizvodstva v Mashinostroenii, 10, 15-18 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1044/leader.PPL.18032013.10
33. Kozulin, M.G. (1999) ESW in cement engineering. Avtomatich. Svarka, 9, 55-60 [in Russian].
36. Turpin, B. et al. (2012) Narrow gap electroslag is process of choice for welding San-Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Welding J., 91(5), 24-31.
37. Janice, J., Chambers, Brett R. Manning (2016) Electroslag welding: From shop to field. Structure Magazine, February, 20-23.
39. Kitani, Y., Ikeda, R., Ono, M. et al. (2013) Improvement of weld metal toughness in high heat input electro-slag welding of low carbon steel. Welding in the World, February.
40. Takahiko Suzuki, Takumi Ishii (2017) Guidebook for preventing brittle fractures of inner diaphragm electroslag welds. Steel Construction Today and Tomorrow, 52, 9-12.
41. Ryuji Uemori, Nasaaki Fujioka, Takehiro Inoue, Masanori Minagawa et al. (2012) Steels for marine transportation and construction. Nippon Steel Technical Report, No. 101, November, 37-46.
42. Leroux, B. (2015) Electroslag welding (ESW): A new option for smelters to weld aluminum bus bars. Ed. by M. Hyland. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Canada. email@example.com https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119093435.ch141
44. Xu, C., Chen, Y., Liu, Y. (2003) Study and application of high-strength reinforcing bar. In: Proc. of Vanitec Symp. (China, Hangzhou, October 2003), 106-109.
45. Kaluc, E., Taban, E., Dhooge, A. (2006) Electroslag welding process and industrial applications. Metal Dunyasi, 152(13), 100-104.
49. Takare Niraj S., Ram Yadav (2014) Electroslag strip cladding process. Mechanical Engineering/SSJCET College, India. International OPEN ACCESS Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER).