TPWJ, 2020, #8, 15-18 pages
Investigation of the methods of modifying the structure of austenitic welds and the zone of their fusion with pearlitic base metal
K.A. Yushchenko, O.V. Bulat, G.V. Svyagintseva, V.I. Samoilenko and Yu.M. Kakhovskyi
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Investigation of the effect of nitrogen alloying and yttrium and zirconium oxide additives to the weld pool on the
structure of an austenitic weld and its microhardness in the zone of its fusion with pearlitic base metal was studied for
the case of joints of dissimilar steels (austenitic with pearlitic), made by coated-electrode arc welding. It is shown that
nitrogen alloying of weld metal of Kh20N9G6 type through the electrode coating practically does not affect the dendrite
dimensions, but lower the microhardness (risk of martensite formation) in the zone of fusion with pearlitic base
metal. In the case of yttrium or zirconium oxide additives to the austenitic metal of Kh15N25M6AG2 type through the
coating, its dendrite structure is refined significantly, and metal microhardness in the fusion zone drops to the level that
is indicative of martensite absence. 8 Ref., 2 Tables, 4 Figures.
arc welding, coated electrodes, austenitic deposited metal, transition zone with pearlitic metal, structure,
1. Shorshorov, M.Kh., Erokhin, A.A., Chernyshova, T.A. et al.
(1973) Hot cracks in welding of heat-resistant alloys. Moscow,
Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
2. Kakhovsky, N.I. (1975) Welding of high-alloyed steels. Kiev,
Tekhnika [in Russian].
3. Braun, M.P. (1982) Microalloying of steel. Kiev, Naukova
Dumka [in Russian].
4. Zemzin, V.N. (1966) Welded joints of dissimilar steels. Moscow,
Leningrad, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
5. Gotalsky, Yu.N. (1981) Welding of dissimilar steels. Kiev,
Tekhnika [in Russian].
6. Yushchenko, K.A., Kakhovsky, Yu.N., Bulat, A.V. et al. (2014) Investigation of transition zone of low-carbon steel joint with high-alloyed Cr-Ni deposited metal. The Paton Welding J., 6-7, 143-146. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2014.06.31
7. Elagin, V.P., Lipodaev, V.N., Gordan, G.N. (2016) Peculiarities
of development of structural heterogeneity in the fusion
zone of pearlitic steel with nitrogen-containing weld metal.
In: Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on Arc Welding, Materials and Quality
(31 May–3 June 2016, Volgograd, Russia), 116–126.
8. Pickering F.B. (1982) Physical metallurgy and development
of steel. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: