The Paton Welding Journal, 2021, #3, 16-21 pages
Electric arc spraying of intermetalic Fe–Al coatings using different solid and powder wires
Yu.S. Borisov, A.L. Borisova, N.V. Vihilyanska, I.A. Demyanov and O.M. Burlachenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The mechanism of formation and structure of coatings based on the system iron-aluminium, sprayed by electric arc
method using wires of solid cross-section and a flux-cored wire were investigated. The grain-size composition, structure
and microhardness of particles (spraying products of electrode wires of iron and aluminium) captured from the spraying
jet, as well as structure, phase composition and microhardness of electric arc coatings of the system iron-aluminium
were studied. It was found that during spraying of Fe + Al and Fe + AlMg wires, the interaction of particles in the jet
does not occur and the products of spraying represent particles of iron and aluminium with the appropriate hardness.
In this case, the formation of intermetallics in the coatings also does not occur and they have a heterogeneous structure
consisting of the components based on iron and aluminium. It was found that intermetallic FeAl structure is formed
only after heat treatment of sprayed coatings at 650 °C. During spraying of flux-cored wire FCW(Fe–Al) in the process
of melting the sheath and the filler, the interphase interaction occurs, which results in the formation of coatings with a
microhardness of 2460 ± 290 MPa, the main phase of which is intermetallic Fe3Al. 21 Ref., 1 Table, 6 Figures.
electric arc spraying, intermetallic, iron-aluminium, coating, solid cross-section wire, flux-cored wire,
1. Deevi, S.C., Sikka, V.K. (1996) Nickel and iron aluminides: An overview on properties, processing, and applications. Intermetallics, 4(5), 357-375. https://doi.org/10.1016/0966-9795(95)00056-9
2. Stoloff, N. S. (1998). Iron aluminides: Present status and future prospects. Mater. Sci. and Engin.: A, 258(1-2), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(98)00909-5
3. Yang, D.-M., Tian B.-H., Cao Y. (2011) Microstructures and properties of FeAl coatings prepared by LPPS, APS and HVOF. Proc. of ITSC`2011, 1229-1234.
4. Xu, B., Zhu, Z., Ma, S. et al. (2004) Sliding wear behavior of Fe-Al and Fe-Al/WC coatings prepared by high velocity arc spraying. Wear, 257(11), 1089-1095. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2004.05.012
5. Guilemany, J. M., Cinca, N., Casas, L., Molins, E. (2009) Ordering and disordering processes in MA and MM intermetallic iron aluminide powders. J. of Mater. Sci., 44(8), 2152-2161. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-009-3296-z
6. Borisov, Yu.S., Borisova, A.L., Vigilyanska, N.V. et al. (2020) Coatings based on Fe-Al intermetallics produced by the methods of plasma and supersonic plasma gas-air spraying. The Paton Welding J., 7, 29-37. DOI: https://doi.org/10.37434/as2020.07.04. https://doi.org/10.37434/as2020.07.04
7. Guilemany, J.M., Cinca, N., Fernández, J., Sampath, S. (2008) Erosion, abrasive, and friction wear behavior of iron aluminide coatings sprayed by HVOF. J. of Thermal Spray Technol., 17(5-6), 762-773. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-008-9252-7
8. Borisov, Yu.S., Borisova, A.L., Astakhov, E.A. et al. (2017) Detonation coatings of intermetallic powders of Fe-Al system produced using mechanical alloying. The Paton Welding J., 4, 23-29. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.04.05
9. Prasad, Y.V.R.K., Sastry, D., Sundar, R., Deevi, Seetharama (2001) Optimization of hot workability and hot deformation mechanisms in FeAl and Fe3Al based alloys. In: Proc. of the Int. Symposium on Structural Intermetallics.
10. Rajath Hegde, M.M., Surendranathan, A.O. (2009) Synthesis, characterization and annealing of mechanically alloyed nanostructured FeAl powder. Frontiers of Materials Sci. in China, 3(3), 310-318. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11706-009-0021-4
11. Borisov, Yu.S., Borisova, A.L., Burlachenko A.N. et al. (2017) Structure and properties of alloyed powders based on Fe3Al intermetallic for thermal spraying produced using mechanochemical synthesis method. The Paton Welding J., 9, 33-39. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.09.06
12. Matvejshin, E.N. (2009) Strength and tribotechnical properties of iron-aluminium and copper-aluminium metalized coatings. Problemy Tribologii, 4, 54-57 [in Russian].
13. Borisov, Yu.S., Vigilyanskaya, N.V., Demyanov, I.A. (2013) Study of effect of electric arc spraying modes on structure and properties of pseudoalloy coatings. The Paton Welding J., 12, 9-15.
14. Chen, Y., Liang, X., Wei, S. et al. (2009) Heat treatment induced intermetallic phase transition of arc-sprayed coating prepared by the wires combination of aluminum-cathode and steel-anode. Applied Surface Science, 255(19), 8299-8304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2009.05.142
15. Chmielewski, T., Siwek, P., Chmielewski, M. et al. (2018) Structure and selected properties of arc sprayed coatings containing in-situ fabricated Fe-Al intermetallic phases. Metals, 8(12), 1059. https://doi.org/10.3390/met8121059
16. Borisova, A.L., Gubenko, B.G., Kostin, V.A. et al. (1990) Peculiarities of formation and structure of electrometallized coatings of steel-aluminium system. Avtomatich. Svarka, 8, 41-44 [in Russian].
17. Borisova, A.L., Mitz, I.V., Kleyman, A. (2000) Arc sprayed coatings of ferroalloy-base flux-cored wires.: In: Proc. of the 1st Int. Thermal Spray Conf. on Thermal Spray Surface Engineering Via Applied Research (Montreal, Canada).
18. Borisova, A.L., Mitz, I.V., Kleyman, A.Sh. (1990) Influence of aluminium on structure and physicomechanical properties of coatings from flux-cored wires with ferrochromium filler. In: Strength of parts of agricultural technique. Transact., Kishinev, 27-33 [in Russian].
19. Borisov, Yu.S., Korzhik, V.N. Kozyakov, I.A. (1995) Flame coatings of Fe-B system from flux-cored wires and flexible cords. Avtomatich. Svarka, 12, 12-25 [in Russian].
20. Kulik, A.Ya., Borisov, Yu.S. et al. (1985) Thermal spraying of composite powders. Leningrad, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
21. Ageev, V.A., Belashchenko, V.E., Feldman, I.E., Chernoivanov, A.V. (1989) Analysis of methods for control of parameters of sprayed particles in electric arc metallization. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 12, 30-32.