TPWJ, 2021, #4, 31-42 pages
Method of acoustic emission at evaluation of the state of welds and their service properties. Part 2. practical application
S.A. Nedosieka, A.Ya. Nedosieka, M.A. Yaremenko, O.I. Boichuk and M.A. Ovsienko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The majority of existing structures contain welded joints. Questions of monitoring service characteristics of welded
joints, using acoustic emission method, are considered. Attention is given to a change in material properties of operating
structures with welded elements after long-term service, taking into account the time and probable violation of
service conditions. Examples of evaluation of the change in properties of welded structure materials by the data of
acoustic emission, determination of their damage and residual service life, are given. 17 Ref., 5 Tables, 24 Figures.
welds, service properties, acoustic emission (AE), AE activity, AE scanning, damage, destruction
1. Nedoseka, S.A., Nedoseka, A.Ya., Yaremenko, M.A. et al.
(2021) Acoustic emission method at evaluation of the state of
welds and their service properties. Pt 1. Effect of welded joint
type on acoustic emission. The Paton Welding J., 2, 46‒52.
2. Nedoseka, A.Ya., Nedoseka, S.A. (2020) Fundamentals of design
and diagnostics of welded structures: Manual. 5th Ed. Ed.
by B.E. Paton. Kiev, Indprom [in Russian].
3. Nedoseka, A.Ya., Nedoseka, S.A., Yaremenko, M.A. et al.
(2013) Software of AE diagnostic systems EMA-3.9. Tekh.
Diagnost. i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 3, 16–22 [in Russian].
4. Huang, W., Yang, S., Lin, D., Kovacevic, R. (2009) Real-time
monitoring of the weld penetration state in laser welding of
high-strength steels by airborne acoustic signal. ASME. Turbo
expo: Power for land, sea, and air: cycle innovations; industrial
and cogeneration; manufacturing materials and metallurgy.
Marine, 4, 799–805.
5. ASTM E749/E749M-17 (2017) Standard practice for acoustic
emission monitoring during continuous welding. ASTM
International, West Conshohocken.
6. Zhang, L., Basantes-Defaz, A.C., Ozevin, D. et al. (2019)
Real- time monitoring of welding process using air-coupled
ultrasonics and acoustic emission. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol.,
101, 1623–1634. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-018-3042-2.
7. Nedoseka, A.Ya., Nedoseka, S.A., Yaremenko, M.A. et al.
(2003) About application of acoustic emission method for
control of industrial structures. Tekh. Diagnost. i Nerazrush.
Kontrol, 3, 3–6 [in Russian].
8. Shcherbinsky, V.G., Feoktistov, V.A., Polevik, V.A. et al.
(1987) Methods of flaw detection of welded joints. Moscow,
Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
9. Nedoseka, S.A. (2010) Diagnostics and prediction of service
life of welded structures by acoustic emission method: Syn.
of Thesis for Dr. of Tech. Sci. Degree. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
10. Nedoseka, S.A., Nedoseka, A.Ya., Boichuk, O.I. et al. (2020)
Features of acoustic emission at evaluation of the state of
materials. Tekh. Diagnost. i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 2, 3–12 [in
11. Nedoseka, S.A., Nedoseka, A.Ya. (2010) Integrated assessment
of damage level and residual life of metals with certain
operating life. Ibid., 1, 9–16 [in Russian].
12. Karlov, S.A., Sulzhenko, V.A., Yakovlev, A.V. (2019) Acoustic
emission control of weld quality in marine engineering:
Transact. of Krylov State scientific center. Special Issue [in
13. Ivanov, A.B., Ievlev, V.A., Neustupov, A.S. et al. (2019) Implementation
of a new method for quality control of field
welded joints of pipelines: Transact. of Krylov State scientific
center. Special Issue 2 [in Russian].
14. Droubi, Mohamad & Faisal, Nadimul & Orr, Fraser & Steel,
John & El-Shaib, Mohamed (2017) Acoustic emission method
for defect detection and identification in carbon steel welded
joints. J. of Constructional Steel Research, 134. 10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.03.012.
15. Aboali, Abdalla et al. (2014) Screening for welding defects
using acoustic emission technique. Advanced Materials Research,
1025–1026, Trans. Tech. Publ., Ltd., Sept. 2014, 7–12.
16. Savchenko, S.V., Timchik, G.S. (2017) Method of control
of welded joints on ballistic steels using acoustic emission.
Visnyk NTU KhPI. Series: Mechanical-technological systems
and complexes, Vol. 20 [in Ukrainian].
17. Skalsky, V.R. (2003) Evaluation of accumulation of bulk
damage in solid, based on acoustic emission signals. Tekh. Diagnost.
i Nerazrush. Kontrol, 4, 29–36 [in Ukrainian].
Advertising in this issue: