The Paton Welding Journal, 2021, #4, 25-30 pages
Weld formation in consumable electrode welding of butt joints of amg5m aluminium alloy in site with a forming backing element and without it
T.M. Labur, M.R. Yavorska and V.A. Koval
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The paper presents the results of studying the features of weld formation at consumable electrode pulsed-arc welding
of 4 mm AMg5M alloy in different positions at the speed of 23 m/h with forming backing element (FBE) and without
it. It is shown that sound welds form irrespective of the angle of butt joint inclination relative to the horizontal plane.
FBE presence increases the geometrical dimensions of welds made with consumable electrode by 4–12 % on average,
depending on the position of butt joints. Obtained data clearly demonstrates the possibility of achieving the required
quality of welds and high level of mechanical properties in consumable electrode welding of aluminium-magnesium
alloys at different positions of the butt joints without FBE application. 6 Ref., 3 Tables, 4 Figures.
aluminium alloy, argon-arc welding, consumable electrode, filler wire, butt joint positions, forming
backing element, welded joints, welds, solidification, structure, mechanical properties
1. Andreev, S.B., Golovachenko, V.S., Gobach, V.D., Russo,
V.A. (2006) Fundamentals of welding of ship structures.
St.-Petersburg, Sudostroenie [in Russian].
2. Kolpakov, I.N., Osokin, E.P., Pavlova, V.I., Ushkov, S.S.
(2006) Structural aluminium materials in shipbuilding. TsNII
Prometej. TLS, 1‒2, 73-80 [in Russian].
3. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Labur, T.M., Bernadsky, V.N., Makovetskaya,
O.K. (2006) Aluminium and its alloys in modern welded
structures. Kiev, Ekotekhnologiya [in Russian].
4. Labur, T.M., Zhernosekov, A.M., Yavorskaya, M.R., Pashulya, M.P. (2013) Consumable electrode pulsed-arc welding of aluminium alloys with regulated pulse shape. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 11, 3-7 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1080/09507116.2013.868105
5. DSTU EN ISO 10042:2015 ( EN ISO 10042:2005, ТDТ:ISO10042:
2005, IDТ) Welding. Arc-welded joints in aluminium
and its alloys. Quality levels for imperfections [in
6. Labur, T.M., Gavrilyuk, Yu.M., Pashulya, M.P., Yavorskaya,
M.R. (2014) Influence of welding technology on structure and
physical-mechanical properties of joints of AMg5M aluminium
alloy. In: Proc. of 5th Int. Conf. on Fracture Mechanics
of Materials and Strength of Structures (Ukraine, Lvov, 24–
27.06.2014). PMI, 457–461 [in Russian].