The Paton Welding Journal, 2021, #6, 36-40 pages
Influence of the conditions of weld pool protection by argon on the properties of welds in tig welding of titanium
V.P. Prilutskyi and L.Ye. Yeroshenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
A procedure was developed that allows an experimental determination of a correlation between an increased oxygen
content in welding torch argon, intensity of radiation of OI atomic oxygen lines in the arc and the corresponding change
in the properties of welds in real time at welding of titanium. It was found that an increase in oxygen content in argon to
0.34 vol.% at violation of the weld protection leads to an increase in the tensile strength of weld metal by 30 % and at
the same time reduction in ductility by 65 %. The proposed procedure can be used to create a database at development
of systems for predicting the operational reliability of welded structures from titanium alloys by quantitative indices of
changes in the characteristics of the weld metal during welding. 9 Ref., 4 Tables, 8 Figures.
argon arc (TIG) welding, VT1-0 titanium alloy, violation of argon protection, gas impurities, prediction
of weld properties
1. DSTU GOST 10157:2019: Gaseous and liquid argon. Specifi-
cations (GOST 10157‒2016, IDT) [in Ukrainian].
2. Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Blashchuk, V.E. et al. (1986)
Metallurgy and technology of welding of titanium and its alloys.
2nd Ed. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
3. Mitra, T.K., Venkataraman, G. (1996) Effect of shielding on
the properties titanium welds. WRI J., 17(4), 117–121.
4. Shchipkov, M.D., Zelenova, M.I., Petrov, V.N. (1974) Pressure
treatment and welding. Influence of shielding atmosphere
composition on final hydrogen content in weld of 3V alloy.
Leningrad, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
5. Zubretskaya, N.A., Fedin, S.S. (2014) Information processing
systems. Prediction of strength of spot welded joints. Issue
5(121) [in Ukrainian].
6. Lazorenko, Ya.P., Shapovalov, E.V., Kolyada, V.A. (2011)
Analysis of spectrum of the welding arc light for monitoring
of arc welding (Review). The Paton Welding J., 11, 24–27.
7. Zajdel, A.N., Prokofiev, V.K., Rajsky, S.M. et al. (1977) Tables
of spectrum lines. Moscow, Nauka [in Russian].
8. Eroshenko, L.V., Prilutsky, V.P., Zamkov, V.N. (1994) Video
spectrum procedure for investigation of welding arc in argon.
Avtomatich. Svarka, 7‒8, 7–9 [in Russian].
9. Kaptsov, N.A. (1950) Electric phenomena in gases and vacuum.
Moscow-Leningrad, Tekh.-Teoretich. Lit-ra [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: