TPWJ, 2012, #3, 39-43 pages
IMPROVEMENT OF THE TECHNOLOGY FOR SUBMERGED-ARC WELDING OF COPPER TO STEEL
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 3, 2012 (March)
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
The paper gives results of investigations of the effect of some techniques on iron content of the weld metal in copper to steel joints made by submerged-arc welding. A new method was developed for welding of copper to steel by using a split electrode consisting of different-diameter wires. The method allows controlling heat input into the copper and steel edges, simplifies the process of tracking the weld line by electrode, and provides the required quality of the welds.
submerged-arc welding, split electrode, two wires, dissimilar joints copper + steel, edge preparation, welding parameters, electrode displacement, mechanical properties of joints
1. Gurevich, S.M. (1990) Reference book on welding of nonferrous metals. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
2. Shekhter, S.Ya., Reznitsky, A.M., Pyankov, V.V. (1973) Welding of copper to steel in production of blast furnace lances. Avtomatich. Svarka, 11, 55-57.
3. Ilyushenko, V.M., Bosak, L.K., Grishin, L.I. (1966) Automatic submerged-arc welding of copper to large thickness steel. Ibid., 6, 73.
4. Ivashchenko, G.M., Dzhevaga, I.M., Lebedev, O.M. (1971) Mechanical properties of joints in surfacing of aluminium bronze on carbon steels. Ibid., 8, 52-55.
5. Shutov, A.S. (1970) On optimal composition of weld metal in fusion welding of copper to low-carbon steel. Ibid., 11, 17-19.
6. Rotach, A.P. (1985) Increase in serviceability and life of copper to low-carbon steel welded joints operating at high and variable temperatures: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Leningrad.
7. Pavlyuk, S.K., Rotach, A.P., Vecher, A.V. (1986) Properties of weld metal in copper to low-carbon steel joints at elevated temperatures and their resistance to thermal fatigue. Problemy Prochnosti, 3, 15-19.
8. Koleda, V.N., Ilyushenko, V.M. (2010) Optimisation of parameters of additional gas shielding in submerged arc welding and surfacing of copper and its alloys. The Paton Welding J., 11, 38-41.
9. Koleda, V.N., Ilyushenko, V.M., Biktagirov, F.K. et al. (2011) Refining of metal in melting of copper and its alloys from waste. Sovremen. Elektrometallurgiya, 1, 33-37.
10. Koleda, V.N., Ilyushenko, V.M. (2010) Fused-agglomerated flux for welding and surfacing of copper and its alloys. In: Proc. of 5th Int. Conf. on Welding Consumables. Technologies. Production. Quality. Competitiveness (Kiev, May 2010), 117-123.