TPWJ, 2012, #3, 35-39 pages
COLD RESISTANCE AND LAMELLAR FRACTURE RESISTANCE OF WELDED JOINTS ON STEEL 06GB-390
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 3, 2012 (March)
V.D. POZNYAKOV, A.Yu. BARVINKO, Yu.P. BARVINKO, A.G. SINEOK and A.N. YASHNIK
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
The paper presents results of investigation of resistance of steel 06GB-390 to lamellar-tough and lamellar-brittle fractures, as well as of evaluation of impact toughness (KCV-40
) of the weld and HAZ metals of butt joints on this steel (as-welded and after heat treatment). The joints were welded in free and rigidly restrained states. It is shown that steel 06GB-390 is not susceptible to lamellar-tough and lamellar-brittle fractures, while impact toughness of the weld and HAZ metals of the butt joints hardly changes in any of the cases.
arc welding, low-alloy steels, oil storage tanks, HAZ metal, impact toughness, heat treatment of welded joint, welding in rigid contour, welding strains, lamellar fracture
1. (1998) API Standard 650: Welded steel tanks for oil storage. 9th ed. Nov.
2. (2003) PB 03-605-03: Rules for designing of vertical cylindrical steel tanks for oil and oil products. Moscow.
3. Kovtunenko, V.A., Gerasimenko, A.M., Gotsulyak, A.A. (2006) Selection of steel for critical building welded structures. The Paton Welding J., 11, 27-31.
4. Mikhoduj, L.I., Kirian, V.I., Poznyakov, V.D. et al. (2003) Sparsely-alloyed high-strength steels for welded structures. Ibid., 5, 34-37.
5. Kennedy, H.E. (1945) Some causes of brittle failure in welded mild steel structures. Welding J., 11, 588.
6. Maccocaire, C. (1991) Repair welding: how to set up a shop. Ibid., 8, 54-56.
7. Stepanov, A.V. (1974) Principles of practical strength of crystals. Moscow: Nauka.
8. Bernshtejn, M.L., Zajmovsky, V.A. (1970) Structure and mechanical properties of metals. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
9. Hrivnak, I. (1982) Weldability of steels Е state-of-the-art and technological projection. In: Proc. of 11th Meeting of Coordination Center of CMEA countries-members (Bratislava, May 1982).
10. Girenko, V.S., Bernatsky, A.V. (1985) Anisotropy of properties of rolled metal and serviceability of welded structures. Avtomatich. Svarka, 12, 13-18.
11. Newly published specifications for lamellar tearing in Japan Doc. IIW IX-1255-82.
12. TU U 27.1-05416923-085:2006: Rolled plates welded from quality steel of 355-590 strength classes for machine-building. Introd. 04.02.2007.
13. Makhnenko, V.I., Poznyakov, V.D., Velikoivanenko, E.A. et al. (2009) Risk of cold cracking in welding of structural high-strength steels. The Paton Welding J., 12, 2-6.
14. GOST 31385-2008: Vertical cylindrical steel tanks for oil and oil products. General specifications. Introd. 2009.