Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #3, 2016, pp. 44-48
Extension of service life of welded tanks of stainless steel by increasing pitting resistance
V.M. Kulik, S.A. Osadchuk, L.I. Nyrkova, V.P. Elagin And S.L. Melnichuk
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU. 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
During long service of the tanks, manufactured of stainless steel, the pits are formed on the surface contacting with periodically preheated aggressive liquid, mainly in welded joints, and the danger of through fracture of wall arises. The aim of the work was to increase the reliability and longevity of tanks for storage of aggressive liquid, first of all, by increasing the resistance of welded joints against pitting formation. The specimens, being untreated and mechanically treated in different ways with penetration of the untreated surface and polished sheet steel 12Kh18N10T were subjected to accelerated tests for resistance against pitting corrosion at room temperature and preheatings of FeCl3
solution similar to the technological ones. The resistance against pitting corrosion of welded joints is significantly increased after abrasive treatments, surface peening to a lesser extent and is independent of the surface roughness. The pitting resistance is also increased by replacing the indirect preheating of solution through the specimen to its direct preheating by the immersed heater. The results of the work are advisable for using in manufacture, repair and service of chemical, petrochemical, food and other equipment. 9 Ref., 2 Tables, 5 Figures.
tank, stainless steel, welded joint, pitting corrosion, abrasive treatment, peening, preheating, surface roughness
- Nyrkova, L.I., Osadchuk, S.O., Rybakov, A.O. et al. (2015) Monitoring of corrosion state of bimetal tank for products of oil processing and its repair. In: Problems of life and service safety of structures, constructions and machines: Transact., 531–537. Kyiv: PWI.
- Idelchik, B.M., Lyashchenko, A.E. (1984) Corrosion protection of compressor machines. Leningrad: Mashinostroenie.
- Tomashev, N.D. (1986) Theory of corrosion and corrosion-resistant structural alloys. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Shabudeeva, L.I., Revyakina, O.K., Makarchuk, T.B. et al. (1996) Effect of heating on corrosion resistance of stainless steel 12Kh18N10T. Fizika Poverkhnosti i Zashchita Materialov, 32(2), 24–30.
- Yarovchuk, A.V., Voronina, T.A., Tivanova, O.V. (2007) Influence of deformation martensite on resistance to pitting corrosion of stainless steel 12Kh18N10T. Polzunovsky Almanakh, 1/2, 190–196.
- Pachurin, G.V. (2011) Optimization of modes of surface plastic treatment for increase service life of metal products. Uspekhi Sovr. Estestvoznaniya, 2, 91–95.
- Knysh, V.V., Valteris, I.I., Kuzmenko, A.Z. et al. (2008) Corrosion fatigue resistance of welded joints strengthened by high-frequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 4, 2–4.
- Klimenko, A.V., Solovej, S.A., Kovalenko, S.Yu. (2013) Increase in resistance of pipe steel welded joints to stress-corrosion fracture. Visnyk SkhUkr. NU, 202(13), 178–183.
- Kyrian, V.I., Knysh, V.V. (2008) High-frequency mechanical peening of welded joints of metal structures. Svarka, 11, 36–41.