“The Paton Welding Journal” #08_2023 will be freely distributed from 11 to 15 September during the exhibition SCHWEISSEN & SCHNEIDEN 2023, Messe Essen, Norbertstrasse 2, Essen, Germany at the stand of the Paton Welding Institute: Hall 8 Stand 8B29.1.
You can also order this issue of the Journal in electronic form for free.
Send applications to E-mail: email@example.com
Contents of the issue
Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #5, 2021, pp. 62-69
Effect of modification of weld metal of high-strength low-alloy steels on their structure and properties
.A. Kostin, V.V. Zhukov, O.M. Berdnikova, V.V. Golovko, O.S. Kushnaryova
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The work studies the influence of modification of different compounds by dispersed particles on the structure, non-metallic
inclusions, their size and distribution, change of phase transformation temperatures and mechanical properties of weld
metal joints of high-strength low-alloy steels. It is shown that the use of the temperature of the maximum intensity of phase
transformation allowed separating the influence of oxide, carbide and titanium-containing compounds on the structure and
mechanical properties of the weld metal of high-strength low-alloy steels. The use of powders of TiO2, ZrO2 and MgO oxides
promotes the formation of a dispersed structure of acicular ferrite (from 30 to 90%), which allows obtaining a favorable
combination of high strength and toughness, especially at extremely low test temperatures (-40...– 60 °С) in the weld metal.
11 Ref., 5 Tabl., 9 Fig.
Keywords: high-strength low-alloy steels, austenite decay diagram, phase transformations, critical transformation temperatures,
automatic welding, weld metal, modification, microstructure, mechanical properties
1. Grigorenko, G.M., Kostin, V.A., Golovko, V.V., Zhukov, V.V. (2016) Influence of modificator nanoparticles on kinetics of transformations in weld metal of high-strength low-alloy steels. Dopovidi NANU, 7, 70-77 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/dopovidi2016.07.070 2. (2018) Science about materials, achievements, prospects. Ed. by L.M. Lobanov. Kyiv, Akademperiodyka, Vol. 2 [in Ukrainian].
3. Poznyakov, V.D. (2017) Welding technologies for production and repair of metal structures from high-strength steels. Bulletin of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 1, 65-73.
4. Rashid, M.S. (1980) High-strength, low-alloy steels. Science, 208, 862-869. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.208.4446.862 5. Rees, G.I., Bhadeshia, H.K.D.H. (1994) Thermodynamics of Acicular Ferrite Formation. Materials Science and Technology, 10, 5. 353-358. https://doi.org/10.1179/mst.19184.108.40.2063 6. Yang, J.R., Bhadeshia, H.K.D.H. (1986) Thermodynamics of the acicular ferrite transformation in weld metals. Advances in welding science and technology. Proceedings of an International Conference on Trends in Welding Research, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, USA, May 18-22, 1986. ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio.
7. Kostin, V.A., Grigorenko, G.M., Golovko, V.V., Zhukov, V.V., Filipchuk, T.N. (2011) Physical modeling of structural transformations in heat affected zone metal of pipe steels with ferritic-bainitic structures. Zb. Nauk. Prats of Nats. Universytetu Korablebuduvanniya, 3, 36-44 [in Russian].
8. Nejmark, V.E. (1977) Modified steel ingot. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
9. (2020) Influence of introduction of refractory particles into welding pool on structure and properties of weld metal. The Paton Welding J., 8, 8-14. https://doi.org/10.37434/tpwj2020.08.01 10. Bhadeshia, H.K.D.H. (2001) Bainite in Steels - Transformation, Microstructure and Properties (Second Edition). London, Institute of Materials Communication Ltd.
11. Berdnikova, O., Hryhorenko, G., Holovko V. (2019) Features of Bainite Structure in the Low-Alloy Steel Weld Metal with Dispersed Inoculants Modification, 2019. Sumu, SumDU, pp. 291-294. https://doi.org/10.1109/NAP47236.2019.216961