Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #2, 2023, pp. 24-33
Detonation coatings based on TiAl intermetallics with additions of non-metallic refractory compounds
A.L. Borysova, A.I. Kildii, T.V. Tsymbalista, M.A. Vasylkivska
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The results of producing and examination of structure and phase composition of detonation coatings from composite powders
(CP) based on TiAl intermetallics and non-metallic refractory compounds (B4C, BN, SiC, Si3N4) are presented. Detonation
spraying with CP was carried out using the automatic detonation complex “Perun-S”. As working gases, the mixture “propane-
butane-oxygen” and as diluent and transporting gas air were used. CP for detonation spraying was produced by the method
of mechanochemical synthesis (MChS) with a subsequent conglomeration. The size of CP particles was 40…80 μm. It was
revealed that the main changes in the phase composition of detonation coatings as compared to the original CP consist in the
appearance of a large number of oxide phases; in the composition TiAl–B4C – TiO2, Ti3O5; TiAl–BN – Ti3O5, TiO, TiO2; TiAl–
SiC–TiO2, Ti3O5, SiO2; TiAl–Si3N4–TiO2, TiO, SiO2. The most dense and homogeneous structure was obtained in the coatings
with CP TiAl–SiC і TiAl–Si3N4. 17 Ref., 2 Tabl., 16 Fig.
Ti-Al intermetallics, non-metallic refractory compounds, detonation coatings
1. Gotman I., Koczak, M.J. (1994) Fabrication of A1 matrix in situ composites via self-propagating synthesis. Materials and science and engineering, 187, 189-199.
2. Han, Ch., Babicheva, R., Chu, J. et al. (2020) Microstructure and mechanical properties of (TiB+TiC)/Ti composites fabricated in situ via selective laser melting of Ti and B4C powders. Additive Manufacturing.
3. Pfeiler, M., Zechner, J., Penoy, M. et al. (2009) Improved oxidation resistance of TiAlN coatings by doping with Si or B. Surface and Coatings Technology, 203, 3104-3110.
4. Wu, H., Cui, X.P., Geng. L. et al. (2013) Fabrication and characterization of in-situ TiAl matrix composite with controlled microlaminated architecture based on SiC/Al and Ti system. Intermetallics, 43, 8-15.
5. Gan, J.A., Berndt, Ch.C. (2015) Thermal spray forming of titanium and its alloys. Titanium Powder Metallurgy, 425-446.
6. Cinca, N., Guilemany, J.M. (2012) Thermal spraying of transition metal aluminides: An overview. Intermetallics, 24, 60-72.
7. Goral, M., Swadzba, L., Moskal G. et al. (2011) Diffusion aluminide coatings for TiAl intermetallic turbine blades. Intermetallics, 19, 744-747.
8. Venkataraman, R., Ravikumar. B., Krishnamurthy. R., Das, D.K. (2006) A study on phase stability observed in as sprayed Alumina-13 wt.% Titania coatings grown by detonation gun and plasma spraying on low alloy steel substrates. Surface and Coatings Technology, 201, 3087-3095.
9. Semenov, S., Cetegen, B. (2002) Experiments and modeling of the deposition of nanosttructured alumina-titania coatings by detonation waves, Materials Science And Engineering A, 335(1-2), 67-81.
10. Cetegen, B., Semenov, S., Goberman, D. (2003) Deposition of multi-layered alumina-titania coatings by detonation waves. Scripta Materialia, 48, 1483-1488.
11. Oliker, V.E., Syrovatka, V.L., Timofeeva, I.I. et al. (2005) Influence of properties of titanium aluminide powders and conditions of detonation spraying on phase- and structure formation of coatings. Poroshk. Metallurgiya, 9-10, 74-84 [in Russian].
12. Oliker,V., Sirovatka. V., Timofeeva I. et al. (2006) Formation of detonation coatings based on titanium aluminide alloys and aluminium titanate ceramic sprayed from mechanically alloyed powders TiAl. Surface and Coatings Technology, 200, 3573-3581
13. Ti-Al-B. Порошковая металлургия, 11-12, 12-20. Oliker,V., Sirovatka. V., Gridasova, T.Ya. et al. (2009) Influence of gas environment on evolution of structure and phase composition during spraying process of detonation coatings of mechanochemically synthesized Ti-Al-B powders. Poroshk. Metallurgiya, 11-12, 12-20 [in Russian].
14. Dudina, D., Korchagin, M., Zlobin S. et al. (2012) Compositional variations in the coatings formed by detonation spraying of Ti3Al at different O2/C2H2 ratios. Intermetallics, 140-146.
15. Oliker, V., Kresanov, V. (2000) Structure and properties of detonation coatings based on γ-TiAl. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, 39, 590-593.
16. Bratanich, T.I., Skorokhod, V.V., Kopylova, L.I. et al. (2010) Destructive hydrogenation and recombination of α2-Ti3Al alloy as a way to produce solid nanocomposites and coatings with improved properties. Pt. 2. Recombination of Ti3Al and producing of detonation coatings. Poroshk. Metallurgiya, 9-10, 132-141 [in Ukrainian].
17. Borysov, Yu.S., Borysova, A.L., Burlachenko, O.M. et al. (2021) Composite powders based on FeMoNiCrB amorphizing alloy with additives of refractory compounds for thermal spraying of coatings. The Paton Welding J., 11, 44-52.
Advertising in this issue: