SEM, 2019, #2, 3-6 pages
Journal Современная электрометаллургия
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 2415-8445 (print)
Issue № 2, 2019 (June)
Producing of titanium alloy OT4, alloyed with manganese, in electroslag chamber-type furnace
I.V. Protokovilov, D. A. Petrov, V. B. Porohonko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The results of studying the feasibility of producing ingots of titanium alloy OT4, alloyed with manganese, from the primary charge by the electroslag remelting method are given. Ingots of 64 and 84 mm diameter were melted in a chamber-type electroslag furnace in argon atmosphere at its excessive pressure. As consumable electrodes, the pressed billets and ingots of the first remelting were used. The cast metal was subjected to hot rolling with a next annealing. It was found that the content of manganese and aluminium in ingots of the electroslag remelting correspond to their designed composition in initial charge. The reduction in content of these components in alloy after the double remelting was not revealed. It is shown that the mechanical properties of the hot-rolled rod are in compliance with requirements of standard for the high-quality rods. Thus, the chamber-type electroslag remelting is the effective method for producing ingots of titanium alloys, alloyed using elements with high elasticity of vapor, in particular manganese. Ref. 6, Tabl. 3, Fig. 4.
Key words: electroslag remelting; titanium alloy OT4; ingot; structure; mechanical properties
1. Glazunov, S.G., Moiseev, V.N. (1974) Titanium alloys. Structural titanium alloys. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
2. Iliin, A.A., Kolachev, B.A., Polkin, I.S. (2009) Titanium alloys. Composition, structure, properties: Refer. Book. Moscow, VILS-MATI [in Russian].
3. Vapor pressure calculator. https://www.iap.tuwien.ac.at/surface/vapor_pressure
4. Anoshkin, N.F., Glazunov, S.G., Morozov, E.I., Tetyukhin, V.V. (1978) Melting and casting of titanium alloys. Ed. by V.I. Dobatkin. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
5. Altman, P.S., Maksimov, A.Yu., Bachurin, V.A. (2007) Method of melting of ingots. Pat. RU 2 304 176 C2 [in Russian].
6. Paton, B.E., Trigub, N.P., Akhonin, S.V., Zhuk, G.V. (2006) Electron beam melting of titanium. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].