SEM, 2019, #3, 3-9 pages
Journal Современная электрометаллургия
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 2415-8445 (print)
Issue № 3, 2019 (September)
Physical modeling of ingot crystallization in the mold under the conditions of electroslag heating and topping
I.V. Protokovilov, V.B. Porokhonko, F.K. Biktagirov, R.Yu. Kachan, A.V. Gnatushenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Physical models were developed for studying the processes of ingot crystallization in the mould. The models are tanks, simulating the longitudinal section of flat and forging ingots. Sodium thiosulphate was used as model liquid, which solidifies by the dendrite mechanism and preserves optical transparency right up to complete solidification that allowed visualization of the main processes of formation of the crystalline structure of the ingot. It is shown that structural zones of model ingots correspond to structural zones of commercial steel ingots that allows us asserting the qualitative correspondence of the physical model to the natural process. The effect of electroslag heating and topping on the features of crystallization of model ingots was studied. It is found that electroslag heating and topping allow completely eliminating axial porosity and shrinkage cavity in the ingot head part. The developed models can be an effective tool to study the physical methods of influencing the processes of crystallization of large steel ingots. Ref. 15, Tabl. 1, Fig. 7.
Key words: steel ingot; physical modeling; crystallization; electroslag heating; electroslag topping
1. Skoblo, S.Ya., Kazachkov, E.A. (1973) Ingots for large forgings. Moscow, Metallurgiya [in Russian].
2. Smirnov, A.N., Makurov, S.L., Safonov, V.M. et al. (2009) Large ingot. DNTU, Donetsk, Veber [in Russian].
3. Zyuban, N.A., Rutsky, D.V., Pegisheva, S.A. (2011) Manufacturing of large ingots and problems of metal quality. Volgograd, VolgGTU [in Russian].
4. Shapovalov, V.A., Tsykulenko, K.A. (2013) Quality of large-tonnage ingots in mould casting (Analytic review). Sovrem. Elektrometall., 1, 58-65 [in Russian].
5. Zhuliev, S.I., Zyuban, N.A. (2001) Influence of parameters of manufacturing of large forging ingots on formation of axial zone optimal structure. Metallurg, 12, 38-39 [in Russian].
6. Voronin. Yu.F., Losev, A.G., Matokhina, A.V., Kulikov, D.Yu. (2004) Control of process for decrease of shrinkage defects of castings. Litejshchik Rossii, 12, 37-40 [in Russian].
7. Zhuliev, S.I., Zhyuban, N.A., Shelukhina, Yu.M. (2008) Influence of inoculation on off-center segregation in ingots for large forgings. Stal, 12, 58-61 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0967091208120206
8. Dudko, D.A., Krutikov, R.G., Prokhorenko, K.K. (1969) Complex improvement of quality of steel ingot. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
9. Zyuban, N.A., Rutsky, D.V., Gamanyuk, S.B. et al. (2011) Influence of geometry and conditions of killed steel ingot solidification on quality of rotor forgings of turbogenerators. Izv. Samarskogo Nauchn. Tsentra RAN, Vol. 13, 1(2), 452-455 [in Russian].
10. Smirnov, A.N., Pilyushenko, V.L., Momot, S.V., Amitan, V.N. (2002) Solidification of metal melt under external effects. Donetsk, VIK [in Russian].
11. Bikragirov, F.K., Shapovalov, V.A., Efimov, M.V. et al. (2011) Improvement of quality of large ingots. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 1, 7-11 [in Russian].
12. Mayer, B., Mitter, B., Makhner, P. et al. (1987) Improved BEST process - development and results. In: Electroslag remelting. Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 9, 159-163 [in Russian].
13. Bazeni, S., Skepi, M., Repetto, E. (1983) TREST method for production of cylinders of high-pressure rotors from chrome-molybdenum steel. Ibid., 6, 317-321 [in Russian].
14. Eldarkhanov, A.S., Efimov, V.A., Nuratdinov, A.S. (2001) Processes of formation of castings and their modeling. Moscow, Mashinostroenie [in Russian].
15. Galkin, A.N. (2015) Investigation of influence of thermophysical conditions of solidification and shape of ingot for hollow billets on its structure and distribution of nonmetallic inclusions. In: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree. Volgograd [in Russian].