SEM, 2019, #4, 32-37 pages
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 2415-8445 (print)
Issue № 4, 2019 (November)
Impact of subsurface layers hardened by interstitial elements on titanium alloy mechanical properties
V.M. Fedirko, V.S. Trush, O.G. Lukianenko, I.M. Pogrelyuk
G.V. Karpenko Physico-Mechanical Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
5 Naukova Str., 79060, Lviv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
In this work, subsurface gas-saturated layers 10 to 70 μm deep with different level of surface hardening were formed by diffusion saturation in a controlled gas medium on samples of commercial titanium alloys VT1-0, VT5, PT-7M, OT4-1. The possibility of improving the life characteristics of α- and pseudo-α titanium alloys under different kinds of loading (fatigue, long-term strength) under the conditions of regulated solid solution hardening of subsurface layers of metal by interstitial elements (O, N, C) is shown. Optimal parameters of modification of subsurface metal layer (hardness gradient and hardening depth) were determined, which provide maximum realization of this effect for each of the interstitial elements. Ref. 5, Tabl. 1, Fig. 9.
titanium alloys; subsurface layer; interstitial element; oxygen; nitrogen; carbon; static loading; fatigue life
1. Fujii Hideki, Takahashi Kazuhiro, Yamashita Yoshito (2003) Application of titanium and its alloys for automobile parts. Nippon Steel Technical Report, 88, 70-75.
2. Paton, B.E., Shpak, A.P., Ivasyshyn, O.M. (2006) Main directions of research of titanium problems in Ukraine. Fiz.-Khim. Mekhanika Materialiv, 3, 5-17 [in Ukrainian].
3. Iliin, A.A., Kolachev, B.A., Polkin, I.S. (2009) Titanium alloys. Composition, structure, properties: Refer. Book. Moscow, VILS-MATI [in Russian].
4. Fedirko, V.M., Lukyanenko, A.G., Pohrelyuk, I.M., Trush, V.S. (2017) Increasing the serviceability of products from single-phase titanium alloys by thermochemical treatment. Materials Performance and Characterization, 6(4), 642-655. https://doi.org/10.1520/MPC20160071
5. Fedirko, V.M., Pichugin, A.T., Lukyanenko, O.G., Siryk, Z.O. (1996) Evaluation of serviceability of products of titanium alloys of different structural classes with gas-saturated layers. Fiz.-Khim. Mekhanika Materialiv, 6, 49-54 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02538571