SEM, 2020, #2, 31-38 pages
Technology of processing metal chips (Review)
O.V. Veretilnik, F.K. Biktagirov, V.O. Shapovalov, O.V. Gnatushenko, A.P. Ignatov
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Analysis of the known methods and technologies of processing metal chips was performed. It is noted that chips
containing expensive alloying elements, namely tungsten, molybdenum, chromium, nickel, vanadium, niobium, etc.,
are the most valuable in terms of resource conservation. For melting by traditional methods in arc steel and induction
furnaces the chips have to be briquetted first. However, there are problems with metal refining in induction crucible
melting and with significant loss of alloying elements in arc melting. Technologies based on the electroslag process,
when such material is melted in a layer of liquid slag, became the most widely accepted among those for processing
uncompacted chips. Here both the nonconsumable, predominantly graphite, and consumable metal electrodes can
be used as current-supplying electrode. A conclusion is made that combined melting of a consumable electrode in
an electroslag crucible furnace with simultaneous feeding of chips for melting in the quantity of 70 % of the mass
of material being remelted, is the most promising for recycling chips from low- and medium-carbon alloyed metal,
including widely applied stainless and high-temperature steels and alloys on iron and nickel base. Ref. 27, Fig. 5.
chips; recycling; remelting; electroslag remelting; conconsumable electrode; consumable electrode;
electroslag crucible melting
1. Kukuj, D.M., Emelyanovich, I.V., Petrovsky, V.P. et al. (2009)
Experience of recycling of metal chips. Litio i Metallurgiya,
1, 47–50 [in Russian].
2. Shapovalov, V.A., Burnashev, V.R., Biktagirov, F.K. et al.
(2009) Recycling of chips of heat-resistant steel EP609-Sh
using the method of compacting at electric current with subsequent
electroslag remelting. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 3, 43–45
3. Popov, K.A. (2019) Utilization and recycling of metal chips.
In: Junior science in development of regions. Perm, TSU [in
4. Abramov, K.B., Samujlov, S.D., Figlin, Yu.A. (1998) Briquetting
of titanium chips under action of short pulses of electric
current. Tsvetnye Metally, 12, 70–74 [in Russian].
5. Shapovalov, V.A., Biktagirov, F.K., Burnashev, V.R., et al.
(2011) Electrothermal compacting of metal materials: Possibilities
and prospects. Zagotovitelnye Proizvodstva v Mashinostroenii,
5, 5–10 [in Russian].
6. Anikin, Yu.F.,, Zhezhera, A.D., Ladokhin, S.V., Lapshuk, T.V.
(1998) Installation for combined induction and electron beam
melting of metals and alloys. Metall i Litio Ukrainy, 5–6,
8–10 [in Russian].
7. Anikin, Yu.F., Ladokhin, S.V., Yakovlev, V.T. (1998) Technological
parameters of melting of complex alloyed nickel alloys
in electron beam casting installations. Protsessy Litiya,
3–4, 23–26 [in Russian].
8. Shapovalov, V.A., Biktagirov, F.K., Burnashev, V.R., Nikitenko,
Yu.A. (2011) Plasma-arc remelting of billet, compacted
of EP609-Sh steel chips. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 3, 21–23 [in
9. Burnashev, V.R., Shapovalov, V.A., Zhirov, D.M. et al. (2014)
Plasma-arc remelting of billets compacted from chips of austenitic
stainless steels. Ibid., 1, 37–40 [in Russian].
10. Shapovalov, V.A., Burnashev, V.R., Biktagirov, F.K. et al.
(2011) ESR of electrodes compacted of austenite stainless
steel chips. Ibid., 4, 46–48 [in Russian].
11. Volkov, A.E., Gokhman, G.Z., Shalimov, Al.G. (1984) Melting
and refining of metal in overheated slag of noncompact
materials. Stal, 7, 30–33 [in Russian].
12. Kuzmenko, O.G. (2004) Behavior of particles of a nocompact
filler at air-slag interface in electroslag hardfacing. The Paton
Welding J., 10, 8–11.
13. Volkov, A.E., Shalimov, Al.G. (1989) Production of alloyed
steel by method of electroslag remelting of chips. Stal, 12,
27–29 [in Russian].
14. Moldovan, G.A., Vishnevsky, A.V., Zavodovsky, V.K., Olejnichenko,
V.I. (1975) Melting of charge ingots by ESR method
from high-alloyed steel. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii,
1, 45–47 [in Russian].
15. Kochkin, S.V. (2015) Development of technology of metal
chips recycling by electroslag remelting method. Sovremennye
Nauchnye Issledovaniya i Innovatsii, 6, Pt 1. URL: http://
web.snauka.ru/issues/2015/06/53989 [in Russian].
16. Biktagirov, F.K. (2003) Behavior of carbon in electroslag processing
of metals. In: Proc. of 8th Int. Sci.-Techn. Conf. on
Problems of Welding, Metallurgy and Related Technologies
(Tbilisi, Modemi), 255–265.
17. Satya Prasad, V.V., Sambasiva Rao, A., Prakash, U. et al. (1996) Recycling of superalloy scrap through electroslag remelting. ISIJ Intern., 1, 1459-1464. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.36.1459
18. Kuskov, Yu.M., Kuzmenko, O.G., Lentyugov, I.P. (2019) Application of chips of steel 5KhNM in electroslag surfacing of dies in current-conducting mold. The Paton Welding J., 6, 43-45. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2019.06.08
19. Kuskov, Yu.M. (2001) Electroslag remelting of wastes of different
productions using nonconsumable water-cooled electrode.
Elektrometallurgiya, 2, 28–28 [in Russian].
20. Kuskov, Yu.M., Bezkorovajny, V.I., Us, V.I.,, Medovar, L.B.
(1992) Electrodeless technology of electroslag remelting of
copper wastes. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 3, 29–32
21. Altman, V.A., Orlov, O.I. (2010) Method of melting of
high-qiality tool steels from wastes of tool production. RF Pat.
2405843 [in Russian].
22. Biktagirov, F.K. (2003) Application of non-consumable electrode
electroslag process for melting, refining and treatment
of metals. Report 2. Advances in Electrometallurgy, 1, 4–8.
23. Tsyganov, A.S. (1961) Production of secondary nonferrous
metals. Moscow, Metallurgizdat [in Russian].
24. Stroganov, G.B. (1971) General metallurgy and technology
of nonferrous metals processing. Moscow, Metallurgizdat [in
25. Zherebtsov, S.N. (2012) Application of technology of electroslag
remelting high-alloyed steels and alloys chips for producing
of measuring billet. Elektrometallurgiya, 4, 32–34 [in
26. Zherebtsov, S.N., Romanovsky, Yu.V. (2005) Electroslag remelting
of chips of high-alloyed heat-resistant alloys. Omskij
Vestnik, 2, 108–109 [in Russian].
27. Butko, V.I. (2010) Method of producing of ingots from chips.
Ukraine Pat. 54324 [in Ukrainian].
Advertising in this issue: