SEM, 2020, #4, 23-27 pages
Metallurgical arc plasmatrons
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The problem of the service life of metallurgical plasmatrons is considered. It is shown that the area of the arc spot does
not increase in proportion to the increase in the arc current. Increasing the current density in the arc spot leads to melting
of the surface of the electrode on which the arc rests. To reduce the local current load on the electrode, it is proposed to
make the electrode on which the arc rests split with controlled current load on each elementary electrode. The design of
the split copper electrode assembly was implemented in the laboratory and has shown its efficiency. At some distance
from the electrode, the elementary arcs are contracted into a single arc column. Ref. 13, Fig. 3.
electric arc; near-electrode voltage drop; arc spots; plasmatron electrode
1. Lakomsky, V.I. (1974) Plasma-arc remelting. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
2. Krivtsov, V.S., Plankovsky, S.I. (2005) Problems of creation of high performance high-current electric arc plasmatrons. Aerokosmicheskaya Tekhnika i Tekhnologiya, 7, 7-20 [in Russian].
3. Shapovalov, V.A., Tsykulenko, K.A., Sheiko, I.V., Kolesnichenko, V.I. (2010) Plasma metallurgy and service life of plasmatrons. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 4, 20-25 [in Russian].
4. Zamulo, N.I., Latash, Yu.V., Zabarilo, O.S. et al. (1989)Erosion resistance of electrodes of metallurgical plasmatrons. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 2, 76-83 [in Russian].
5. Bogachenko, A.G., Mishchenko, D.D., Braginets, V.I. et al. (2016) Saving of electric power at the arc steel melting furnaces of direct current with graphitized cored electrodes. Sovrem. Elektrometall., 122(1), 58-64 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/sem2016.01.09
6. Lakomsky, V.I. (2000) Plasma arc torch with an oxide cathode. The Paton Welding J., 12, 71-75.
7. Anshakov, A.S., Urbakh, E.K., Urbakh, A.E., Faleev, V.A. (2005) Study of thermochemical cathodes in arc plasmatrons. Teplofizika i Aeromekhanika, 12(4), 685-691 [in Russian].
8. Lakomskyi, V.Yo. (2006) Oxide cathode of welding arc. Fizyka i Khimiya Tverdogo Tila, 2, 326-330 [in Ukrainian].
9. Iowly, J.D. (1972) Four de fusion a electrode non consumable rotatroude. Vide, 161(27), 262 [in French].
10. Vaia, A., Akers, R. (1973) Durarc process for melting and casting titanium. Titanium Soc. and Technol., 1, 331-341. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4757-1346-6_25
11. Shapovalov, V.A., Latash, Yu.V. (1999) Metallurgical plasmatrons. Problemy Spets. Elektrometallurgii, 4, 50-56 [in Russian].
12. Zhadkevich, M.L., Shapovalov, V.A., Melnik, G.A. et al. (2005) Arc heat sources with nonconsumable electrodes. Advances in Electrometallurgy, 4, 25-28.
13. Shapovalov, V.A., Melnik, G.A., Vislobokov, O.M. et al. (2006) Experimental investigation of erosion of copper water- cooled anodes. Ibid., 1, 14-16.
Advertising in this issue: