SEM, 2020, #4, 44-49 pages
Features of the structure of weld metal at restoration argon-arc surfacing of titanium alloy VT22
S.L. Shvab1, S.V. Akhonin1, I.K. Petrichenko1, S.L. Antonyuk2
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., Kyiv, 03150, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
SC «Antonov». 1 Acad. Tupolev Str., 03062, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Investigations were performed of the metal of VT22 titanium alloy joints made by argon-arc surfacing with application
of an external magnetic field and metal-cored filler wire. Sound defectfree joints were produced as confirmed by gas
analysis and distribution of alloying elements in the deposited metal. Microstructural analysis showed that application of
an external magnetic field in argon-arc surfacing promotes formation of a more homogeneous and uniform structure of the
deposited metal that is also confirmed by quantitative analysis of phase distribution and analysis of intragraular structure
of the deposited metal. Microhardness and mechanical properties of the joints made by surfacing have also been studied.
Ref. 9, Fig. 8.
titanium alloy; argon-arc surfacing; magnetically-impelled arc; structure; alloying elements; microhardness;
1. Moiseyev, V.N. (2005) Titanium alloys: Russian aircraft and aerospace applications. CRC Press, 40, 48-50. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781420037678
2. Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Blashchuk, V.E. et al. (1986) Metallurgy and technology of welding of titanium and its alloys. Kiev, Naukova Dumka, [in Russian].
3. Arrazola, P.J., Garay, A., Iriarte, L.M. et al. (2009) Machinability of titanium alloys (Ti6Al4V and Ti555. 3). J. of Materials Proc. Technology, 209(5), 2223-2230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.06.020
4. Ryzhov, R.N., Kuznetsov, V.D. (2006) External electromagnetic effects in arc welding and surfacing processes (Review). The Paton Welding J., 10, 29-35.
5. Paton, B.E., Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. (1996) Narrow-groove welding proves its worth on thick titanium. Welding J., 75(5), 37-41.
6. Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. (2005) Methods for welding titanium alloys. The Paton Welding J., 8, 41-44.
7. Schwab, S.L., Petrychenko, I.K., Akhonin, S.V. (2017) TIG welding of titanium alloy VT22 performed using the external control magnetic field. Biuletyn Instytutu Spawalnictwa w Gliwicach, 61, 39-46. https://doi.org/10.17729/ebis.2017.6/5
8. Iliin, A.A., Kolachev, B.A., Polkin, I.S. (2009) Titanium alloys. Composition, structure, properties. Moscow, VILS-MATI [in Russian].
9. Kolachev, B.A., Elagin, V.I., Livanov, V.A. (2005) Metals science and heat treatment of nonferrous metals and alloys. Moscow, MISiS [in Russian].
Advertising in this issue: