SEM, 2020, #4, 3-6 pages
Electroslag remelting of consumable electrodes of variable section
L.B. Medovar1, Y.O. Pedchenko1, A.V. Sybir2, V.L. Petrenko1, D.V. Kolomiets1
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
National Metallurgical Academy of Ukraine. 4 Gagarin Ave., 49600, Dnipro, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The practice of using electroslag remelting for recycling worn rollers of slab type continuous casters is considered. The
expediency of remelting the rollers without cutting off necks and welding them into a solid consumable electrode is
shown. The use of ESR with a two circuit scheme for remelting rollers with necks is proposed and investigated on
experimental melts. Electrodes of a variable section of 150 mm diameter were used as electrodes-simulators of real rollers,
which simulated the 110 mm and 80 mm barrel of a roller, as well as the transition from the barrel to the neck and the neck
proper of a real roller of slab caster, respectively. The filling factor varied from 0.69 to 0.2. Two series of experimental
melts were performed in order to obtain a stable depth of the two-phase zone during the ingot solidification. It was found
that the same remelting rate and depth of the two-phase zone are preserved at 2:1 ratio of electric power supplied to the
consumable electrode to the power supplied to the current-supplying mould. Ref. 8, Fig. 3.
electroslag remelting; recycling; roller; continuous casting; consumable electrode; mushy zone; current
1. Samojlovich, Yu.A., Timashpolskij, V.I., Goryainov, V.A.,
Kabishov, S.N. (2008) Increase of service life of BCCM bearing
rollers. Litio i Metallurgiya, 45(1), 49–55 [in Russian].
2. Vdovin, K.N., Berdnikov, A.S., Podosyan, A.A. (2010) Development
of technology for producing BCCM rollers by
ESR method. Teoriya i Tekhnologiya Metallurgicheskogo
Proizvodstva, 2, 68–73 [in Russian].
3. 30 years of metallurgical equipment repair shop No. 3, LLC
Mechanical-repair Complex (PJSC Magnitogorsk Metallurgical
Plant) [in Russian]. bizon.ru/news/view/news_id/376228
4. Khrebto, V.E. (2002) Procedural bases of BCCM reconstruction
in accordance to modern requirements of technology and
reliability: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree,
Magnitogorsk, 114 [in Russian].
5. Yusin, A.N. (2004) Development of rational modes of electroslag
remelting of rollers and mold walls of billet continuous
casting machines: Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree,
Magnitogorsk, 162 [in Russian].
6. Berdnikov, A.S. (2013) Resource-saving technologies for producing
of BCCM roller ingots based on electroslag remelting:
Syn. of Thesis for Cand. of Techn. Sci. Degree, Magnitogorsk,
143 [in Russian].
7. Medovar, L. et. аl. (2005) ESR with two power sources and
process control. In: Proc. of Int. Symposium on Liquid Metal
Processing and Casting (Santa-Fe, New Mexico, USA, Sept.
11–14, 2005), 131–135.
8. Yanwu, Dong, Zhouhua, Jiang, Haibo, Cao et al. (2016) Study of single-power, two-circuit ESR process with current-carrying mold, development of the technique and its physical simulation. Metallurg. and Mater. Transact. B, 47b, 3575-3581 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11663-016-0813-8
Advertising in this issue: