TPWJ, 2009, #1, 29-33 pages
INCREASE OF CYCLIC FATIGUE LIFE OF TEE WELDED JOINTS WITH SURFACE CRACKS
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 1, 2009 (January)
V.V. KNYSH, A.Z. KUZMENKO and A.S. SOLOVEJ
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Investigation results on the efficiency of using high-frequency mechanical peening to increase the fatigue resistance of tee welded joints on low-alloy steels containing fatigue cracks on their surface are presented. Two approaches to strengthening tee joints damaged by fatigue cracks are considered.
welded structures, structural steels, tee welded joints, cyclic fatigue life, high-frequency mechanical peening, fatigue crack, strengthening technology
1. Trufyakov, V.I. (1998) Increase in fatigue resistance of welded joints and structures. Avtomatich. Svarka, 11, 11-19.
2. Paton, B.E. (2000) Modern trends in increase in strength and life of welded structures. The Paton Welding J., 9/10, 2-8.
3. Knysh, V.V., Kovalchuk, V.S. (2007) Extension of service life of metal structures from low-alloy steels by high-frequency mechanical peening after repair welding. Ibid., 11, 31-33.
4. Knysh, V.V., Kuzmenko, A.Z., Vojtenko, O.V. (2006) Increasing fatigue resistance of welded joints by high-frequency mechanical peening. Ibid., 1, 30-33.
5. Turnbull, A., De Los Rios, E.R., Tait, R.B. et al. (1998) Improving the fatigue crack resistance of waspalloy by shot peening. Fatigue & Fract. of Eng. Materials and Struct., 21, 1513-1524.
6. Branko, C.M., Infante, V., Bartista, R. (2004) Fatigue behaviour of the welded joints with cracks, repaired by hammer peening. Ibid., 27, 785-798.
7. Farrahi, G.H., Majzoobi, G.H., Hosseinzadeh, F. et al. (2006) Experimental evaluation of the effect of residual stress field on crack growth behaviour in C(T) specimen. Eng. Fract. Mechanics, 73, 1772-1782.
8. Song, P.S., Wen, C.C. (1999) Crack closure and growth behaviour in shot peened fatigue specimen. Ibid., 63, 295-304.
9. Xiaohua, C., Fisher, J.W., Prask, H.J. et al. (2003) Residual stress modification by post-weld treatment and its beneficial effect on fatigue strength of welded structures. Int. J. Fatigue, 25, 1259-1269.
10. Knysh, V.V., Valteris, I.I., Kuzmenko, A.Z. et al. (2008) Corrosion fatigue resistance of welded joints strengthened by high-frequency mechanical peening. The Paton Welding J., 4, 2-4.