The Paton Welding Journal, 2011, #1, 14-18 pages
PROPERTIES AND STRUCTURE OF CIRCUMFERENTIAL JOINTS OF TUBES MADE BY ORBITAL ELECTRON BEAM WELDING
E.G. TERNOVOJ, V.F. SHULYM, A.R. BULATSEV, T.G. SOLOMIJCHUK and V.A. KOSTIN
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
The paper presents investigations of the properties and structure of metal in circumferential joints of tubes from 304SS steel, PT-3V titanium alloy and monel alloy, produced by the method of orbital electron beam welding in vacuum. Performed investigations were focused on application of equipment and technology of orbital electron beam welding for repair of piping located outside functioning space objects.
piping, position butts, orbital electron beam welding, joints, 304SS steel, PT-3V titanium alloy, monel alloy, mechanical properties, macro- and microstructures, microhardness, chemical inhomogeneity
1. Masubishi, K. (1989) Space technologies of joints developed in the USA. Tekhnika Sborki i Soedineniya, 8, 103-108.
2. Suezawa, E. (1989) Space stations and colonies. Ibid., 9, 66-75.
3. Paton, B.E., Dudko, D.A., Lapchinsky, V.F. et al. (1973) Application of welding in repair of space objects. Kosmich. Issled. na Ukraine, Issue 9, 3-9.
4. Paton, B.E., Lapchinsky, V.F. (1998) Welding and related technologies in space. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
5. Paton, B.E., Lapchinsky, V.F., Stesin, V.V. et al. (1977) Some principles of construction of equipment for technological operations in space. In: Subject Coll. of 6th Gagarin Readings on Technology in Space. Moscow.
6. Ternovoj, E.G., Bulatsev, A.R., Solomijchuk, T.G. et al. (2010) Repair of pipelines using orbital TIG welding inside inhabited space objects. The Paton Welding J., 4, 10-13.
7. Paton, B.E. (2000) Space technologies on the threshold of the third millennium. Ibid., 4, 2-4.
8. (2000) Space: technologies, materials, structures. Ed. by B.E. Paton. Kiev: PWI.
9. Abramov, E.V., Lyashenko, V.I., Semenov, V.A. (1975) Automatic welding of steel and titanium thin-wall tubes: Advanced methods of treatment of metals and alloys. Leningrad: LDNTP.
10. (1978) Welding in machine-building: Refer. Book. Vol. 1. Ed. by N.A. Olshansky. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
11. Grinenko, V.I., Belkin, S.A., Astafurova, N.I. (1963) Position butt welding of pipes of steel 1Kh18N9T by self-compression method. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 10, 27-29.
12. Roshchin, V.V., Akulov, L.I., Grinenko, V.I. et al. Selfcompression method of welding. USSR author's cert. 212409. Int. Cl. B 23K 9/16, 37/2. Publ. 05.05.1968.
13. Roshchin, V.V., Uschenko, Yu.S., Bukarov, V.A. et al. (1985) Properties of weld joints made by self-compression method. IIW Doc. XII-901-85.
14. Maltsev, M.F., Barsukova, T.A., Borin, F.A. (1960) Metallography of nonferrous metals and alloys. Moscow: Metallurgizdat.
15. Bagryansky, K.V., Kuzmin, G.S. (1963) Welding of nickel and its alloys. Moscow: Mashgiz.