The Paton Welding Journal, 2011, #1, 18-22 pages
ELECTRON BEAM WELDING OF HEAT EXCHANGERS WITH SINGLE OR DOUBLE REFRACTION OF THE ELECTRON BEAM
L.A. KRAVCHUK, V.I. ZAGORNIKOV and I.A. KULESHOV
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU, Kiev, Ukraine
Selection of energy and time parameters of the electron beam in EBW of tubes to tubesheets of heat exchangers from titanium and the possibility of making a circumferential weld by applying single and double refraction are considered, as well as rotation of the electron beam around the butt using a deflection system. The paper gives the schematic of welding in common vacuum and modes ensuring formation of fillet weld without reducing the pass section of an up to 40 mm diameter tube, including the case when the tubes extend above the tubesheet level.
EBW, electron beam, heat exchanger, tube and tubesheet, welding schematic, single and double refraction, deflecting system, circular and local scan
1. Goussain, J.C., Penven, Y. (1979) Essais d'application industrielle du soudage par FE pour l'assemblage des tubes sur plaques tubulaires. Soudage et Techniques Connexes, 33(1/2), 29-42.
2. Trunov, E.N. (1981) Requirements to equipment for electron beam welding of heat-exchange apparatuses. Avtomatich. Svarka, 10, 58-60.
3. Kravchuk, L.A. (1978) Pulsed electron beam welding of tubes to tubesheet of titanium. Ibid., 6, 53-56.
4. Lawrence, G.S. (1972) Some improvements in beam quality for high voltage beam welders. In: Proc. of 5th Int. Conf. on Electron and Ion Beam Science and Technology (Houston, Texas, 1972), 354-371.
5. Kravchuk, L.A., Ugumnov, V.P. (1988) Electron beam welding of thin-walled small diameter tubes to tubesheet. Avtomatich. Svarka, 8, 50-52, 60.