TPWJ, 2015, #3/4, 53-56 pages
Manufacture of long-length semi-products from sintered titanium alloys using friction welding
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 3/4, 2015 (March/April)
Zaporozhie National Technical University MESU. 64 Zhukovsky Str., 69063, Zaporozhie, Ukraine. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Aim of the present stady lies in determination of possibility of application of conventional friction welding for production of quality joints from sintered titanium alloy in manufacture of long-length semi-products. Commercial titanium powder of PT5 grade of Ukrainian manufacture was used as initial material. Billets for rod production were received by powder metallurgy methods and their chemical composition corresponded to commercial purity of VT1-0 grade titanium. Shaping of billets of 12 mm diameter and 100 mm length was carried out by pressing. Long-length semi-products were manufactured using friction welding on MF-362 machine. Welding was performed without additional shielding. Weldability of the specimens was evaluated visually, by means of metallographic investigations and mechanical tests. Analysis of macrostructure of welded joints allowed determining absence of defects of metallurgical nature in the weld and thermal-mechanical-affected zone (TMAZ). Average size of pores in TMAZ and weld was smaller then in the base metal, effect of partial and complete «healing» of pores also took place. Micro-X-ray-spectral quality analysis of weld structure showed uniform distribution of main impurity elements. Mechanical tests of examined welded specimens allowed determining that their strength and ductile characteristics are comparable with that of VT1-0 cast titanium. Possibility of realizing the production of semi-products from sintered titanium alloys in production scales was shown. 5 Ref., 2 Tables, 6 Figures.
titanium, powder metallurgy, pressing, sintering, friction welding, semi-product, rod, strength, structure
1. Ovchinnikov, A.V. (2014) On possibility to produce the rods from sintered titanium alloys using the welding methods. Avtomatich. Svarka, 1, 50-53.
2. Seliverstov, A.G., Tkachenko, Yu.M., Kulikovsky, R.A. et al. (2013) Effect of friction welding parameters on structure and mechanical properties of joints on titanium alloy VT3-1. The Paton Welding J., 1, 28-33.
3. Bolshakov, M.V., Chernitsyn, A.I. (1974) Structure and properties of titanium alloy OT4 and its friction welded joints. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 40-42.
4. Ovchinnikov, A.V. (2012) Application of titanium alloys with submicrocrystalline structure for reconditioning GTE rotor parts. The Paton Welding J., 2, 18-22.
5. Kovalenko, T.A., Ovchinnikov, A.V. (2010) Influence of initial structure on fracture mechanisms and mechanical properties of submicrocrystalline titanium. Novi Mater. i Tekhnol. v Metallurgii ta Mashynobud., 1, 72-80.