TPWJ, 2016, #5-6, 150-152 pages
Application of welding technologies for suppression of liquation in large ingots
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue № 5-6, 2016 (May-June)
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The problem of liquation continuously attracts an attention of metallurgists and it is especially acute in producing of large ingots. Dendritic liquation can deteriorate the ingot so that it can occurr to be unsuitable for manufacture of large critical-purpose parts. It is shown that the main cause of liquation is a low rate of solidification. Its increase is impossible in melting of large ingots by using the traditional technologies. Therefore, one of the ways of suppression of the dendritic liquation is a stage-by-stage surfacing (formation) of ingots by using the welding technologies. The article gives the experimental data confirming the feasibility of the ingot structure control independently of its sizes. The fields of application of the suggested approach for manufacture of critical products are predicted. 10 Ref., 5 Figures.
dendritic liquation, coefficient of distribution, rate of solidification, ESR, VAR, EBR, PAR, macro- and microstructure
- (1961) Technology of semiconductor materials. Ed. by G. Bridgers et al. Moscow: Oborongiz.
- Flemings, M. (1977) Solidification processing. Ed. by A.A. Zhukov. Moscow: Mir.
- Nekhenzi, Yu.A. (1948) Steel casting. Moscow: GINTL ChTsM.
- Mitchell, A., Belestain, A.S. (1985) Factors influencing temperature and solidification of ingots in ESR. Pereplav, Issue 6, 192–198.
- Datta, R., Million, K., Zimmermann, H. (2003) Shape welding with MnMoNi alloys for heavy components. Welding and Cutting, 55(4), 216–224.
- Diltey, U., Stein, I., Berger, C. et al. (2006) Future prospects of shape welding. , 5(3), 164–172.
- Shapovalov, V.A., Latash, Yu.V., Zholud, V.V. et al. (2001) Large flat tungsten and molybdenum single crystals and methods of its production. In: of 7th Int. Symp. on Pure Metals (Kharkov, 2001), 39–42.
- Shapovalov, V.A., Latash, Yu.V., Borimskaya, S.T. et al. (2001) Oriented tungsten single crystals: producing, examination and application. Metally, 1, 6–64.
- Shapovalov, V.A., Grigorenko, G.M. (2015) Suppression of liquation processes in large ingots. Elektrometallurgiya, 1, 26–30.
- Shapovalov, V.A., Tsykulenko, K.A., Shapovalov, E.V. et al. (2015) Formation of large ingot by method of moving of local metal pool. Elektrometallurgiya, 2, 36–43.