TPWJ, 2020, #3, 25-33 pages
Welded structures from aluminium alloys
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Examples of modern lightweight structures from aluminium and its alloys are given. Their applications in different
mechanical engineering sectors are shown. The structure diversity reflects the technological capabilities and forms of
realization of unique properties of this material. Trends in world production and consumption of such structures have
been analyzed. it is noted that appearance of more advanced alloys with the respective set of physico-mechanical and
technological properties, as well as rational selection of the processes of their permanent joining, provide a high quality
of welds and welded structure reliability. Presented examples clearly illustrate the fact that the effectiveness of lightweight
structures is determined by functional requirements to products, weldability of the selected aluminium alloy and
level of its joining technology, provided the expenses and production time are minimum. 20 ref., 2 Tables, 6 Figures.
aluminium and its alloys, welding methods, welded joints, light weight welded structures, physico-mechanical
and technological properties, weld quality, reliability, service conditions
1. ishchenko, a.ya., Labur, T.M., Bernadsky, v.N., Makovetskaya,
O.K. (2006) Aluminium and its alloys in modern welded
structures. Kiev, Ekotekhnologiya [in russian].
2. ishchenko, a.ya., Labur, T.M. (2013) Welding of modern
structures from aluminium alloys. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in
3. The, N.J. (2006) small joints make a big difference. TWI Connect,
4. aota, K., Okamura, h., Masakuni, E. et al. (2001) heat inputs
and mechanical properties friction stir welding. in: Proc. of
the 3rd Int. Friction Stir Welding Symp., Kobe, Japan, 27–28
5. Norlin, a. (2000) a century of aluminium — a product of the
future. Svetsaren, 2, 31–33.
6. Dilthey, U., Behr, W. (2000) Elektronen-strahlschweißen in
atmosphäre. Schweissen und Schneiden, 8, 461–465.
7. Bierman, B., Dierken, r., Kupfer, r. et al. (1992) Laser beam
cutting and welding of al–Li sheets. in: Proc. of the Sixth Int.
Aluminium-Litium Conf., 1991, Garmisch-Parten Kirchen.
Informations Gesells Chaft, verlag, 1159–1164.
8. (1998) New applications for TWBs — and laser welding.
Welding and Joining Europe, 10.
9. Wilhelm, M., ratsim, K. (2008) Materials and processes as
factors of progress in motor industry. Chyornye Metally, 3,
33–38 [im russian].
10. Krivov, g.a., Matvienko, v.a., afanasieva L.F. (2003) World
aviation at the turn of the XX–XXI centuries. Industry, markets.
Kiev, KviTs [in russian].
11. Dmitriev, v.g., samula, g.N., Konovalov, v.v., Nesterenko,
g.i. (2003) Priority directions of improvement of materials
for prospective aircraft structures. Tekhnologiya Lyogkikh
Splavov, 1, 3–8 [in russian].
12. hibben, M., stemmiel, F. (1999) Tailored blanks aus alluminium.
Blech Rohre Profile, 42(6), 394–397.
13. Ole, T. Midling, Ljiana Djapic Oosterkamp, Jan, Bersaas
(1998) Friction stir welding aluminium-process and applications.
in: Proc. of the 7th Int. Conf. on Joints in Aluminium
(INALCO-98). TWI, Abington. Cambridge. UK. 15–17 April
14. campbell, g., stotler, T. (1999) Friction stir welding of armour
grade aluminium plate. Welding J., 12, 45–47.
15. yasuda, K., isizawa, y., Kitaura, i. (1996) stady on hybrid
joining method using Tig arc welding (report 1). Welding of
Light Metals, 34(11), 537–543.
16. Wemah, K. (2000) Equipment for aluminium welding. Svetsaren,
17. Jkura I., Nagisawa N., Iwata S., Kitamura K. (2014) Technological developments for realizing aluminium bridges. Journal of Japan institute of light metals, 54, 9, 380-387. https://doi.org/10.2464/jilm.54.380
18. Okura I. (2003) Application of the Aluminium Alloys to Bridges. Journal of Light Metal Welding and Construction, 41, 10, 441-446. https://doi.org/10.1533/wint.2003.3175
18. Okura, i. (2003) application of the aluminium alloys to
bridges. J. of Light Metal Welding and Construction, 41(10),
19. Nakagomi, T., ichikawa, y. (2013) The present condition of
application of the aluminium alloys to a construction steel
frame. Ibid., 41(10), 447–451.
20. sakurai, K. (2003) report of the aluminium alloy bridges in
Europe and United states. Ibid., 41(10), 452–459.