Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #3, 2020, pp.35-44
Welded structures from aluminium alloys
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine. 11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine.
Examples of modern lightweight structures from aluminium and its alloys are given. Their applications in different mechanical engineering sectors are shown. The structure diversity reflects the technological capabilities and forms of realization of unique properties of this material. Trends in world production and consumption of such structures have been analyzed. It is noted that appearance of more advanced alloys with the respective set of physico-mechanical and technological properties, as well as rational selection of the processes of their permanent joining, provide a high quality of welds and welded structure reliability. Presented examples clearly illustrate the fact that the effectiveness of lightweight structures is determined by functional requirements to products, weldability of the selected aluminium alloy and level of its joining technology provided the expenses and production time are minimum. 20 Ref., 2 Tabl., 6 Fig.
Keywords: aluminium and its alloys, welding methods, welded joints, light welded structures, physico-mechanical and technological properties, weld quality, reliability, service conditions
1. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Labur, T.M., Bernadsky, V.N., Makovetskaya, O.K. (2006) Aluminium and its alloys in modern welded structures. Kiev, Ekotekhnologiya [in Russian].
2. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Labur, T.M. (2013) Welding of modern structures from aluminium alloys. Kiev, Naukova Dumka [in Russian].
3. Teh N.J. (2006) Small joints make a big difference. TWI Connect, 143, 4, 1–7.
4. Aota K., Okamura H., Masakuni E. et al. (2001) Heat inputs and mechanical properties friction stir welding. Proc. of the 3rd International Friction Stir Welding Symposium, Kobe, Japan, 27–28 September, pp. 453–457.
5. Norlin A. (2000) A century of aluminium – a product of the future. Svetsaren, 2, 31–33.
6. Dilthey U.,Behr W. (2000) Elektronen-strahlschweißen in Atmosphäre. Schweissen und Schneiden, 8, 461–465.
7. Bierman B., Dierken R., Kupfer R. et al. (1992) Laser Beam Cutting and Welding of Al–Li sheets. Sixth International Aluminium-Litium Conference, 1991, Garmisch-Parten kirchen. Informations gesells chaft, Ver lag, pp. 1159–1164.
8. (1998) New Applications for TWBs – and Laser Welding. Welding and Joining Europe, 10.
9. Wilhelm, M., Ratsim, K. (2008) Materials and processes as factors of progress in motor industry. Chyornye Metally, 3, 33-38 [im Russian].
10. Krivov, G.A., Matvienko, V.A., Afanasieva L.F. (2003) World aviation at the turn of the XX-XXI centuries. Industry, markets. Kiev, KVITs [in Russian].
11. Dmitriev, V.G., Samula, G.N., Konovalov, V.V., Nesterenko, G.I. (2003) Priority directions of improvement of materials for prospective aircraft structures. Tekhnologiya Lyogkikh Splavov, 1, 3–8 [in Russian].
12. Hibben M., Stemmiel F. (1999) Tailored Blanks aus Alluminium. Blech Rohre Profile, 42, 6, 394–397.
13. Ole T. Midling, Ljiana Djapic Oosterkamp, Jan Bersaas(1998) Friction Stir Welding Aluminium-process and applications. Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Joints in Aluminium (INALCO-98). TWI, Abington. Cambridge. UK. 15–17 April 1998.
14. Campbell G., Stotler T. (1999) Friction Stir Welding of Armour Grade Aluminium Plate. Welding Journal, 12, 45–47.
15. Yasuda K., Isizawa Y., Kitaura I. (1996) Stady on Hybrid Joining Method Using TIG Arc Welding (Report 1). Welding of light metals, 34, 11, P. 537–543.
16. Wemah K. (2000) Equipment for Aluminium Welding. Svetsaren, 2, 11–13.
17. Jkura I., Nagisawa N., Iwata S., Kitamura K. (2014) Technological developments for realizing aluminium bridges. Journal of Japan institute of light metals, 54, 9, 380-387. https://doi.org/10.2464/jilm.54.380
18. Okura I. (2003) Application of the Aluminium Alloys to Bridges. Journal of Light Metal Welding and Construction, 41, 10, 441-446. https://doi.org/10.1533/wint.2003.3175
19. Nakagomi T., Ichikawa Y. (2013) The Present Condition of Application of the Aluminium Alloys to a Construction Steel Frame. Journal of Light Metal Welding and Construction, 41, 10, 447–451.
20. Sakurai K. (2003) Report of the Aluminium Alloy Bridges in Europe and United States. Journal of Light Metal Welding and Construction, 41, 10, 452–459.