TPWJ, 2017, #4, 23-29 pages
Detonation coatings of intermetallic powders of Fe–Al system produced using mechanical alloying
Journal The Paton Welding Journal
Publisher International Association «Welding»
ISSN 0957-798X (print)
Issue #4, 2017 (April)
, A.L. Borisova1
, E.A. Astakhov1
, T.V. Tsymbalistaya1
, A.N. Burlachenko1
, M.A. Vasilkovskaya2
and A.I. Kildy1
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
I.M. Frantsevich Institute of Problems of Materials Science 3 Krzhyzhanivskogo Str., 03680, Kiev-142, Ukraine. E-mail:email@example.com
Structure, composition and microhardness of detonation coatings were examined. They were received using Fe2
Al, FeAl and Fe2
intermetallic powders, produced by mechanical alloying (MA) method, and mixtures of Fe and Al powders of equivalent compositions. An effect of «oxygen–combustible gas» relationship in the detonation mixture on oxidation process of material being sprayed was determined. The results of determination of phase composition of the coatings, deposited using different powders, show that in case of application of mechanical mixtures a layer mainly consists of the particles of Fe and al initial mixture. A structure of coatings of MA Fe–Al-powders contains mixture of heating and oxidation products of these powders. Microhardness of the coatings varies from 4580 to 5710 MPa depending on composition. 21 Ref., 3 Tables, 8 Figures.
detonation spraying, iron aluminides, powders, mechanical alloying, composition of detonation mixture, coatings, phase composition, microhardness
- Deevi, S.C., Sikka, V.K. (1996) Nickel and iron aluminides: an overview on properties, processing and applications. Intermetallics, 4, 357–375. https://doi.org/10.1016/0966-9795(95)00056-9
- Stoloff, N.S. (1998) Iron aluminides: present status and future prospects. Sci. & Engineering, 258 (Issue 1/2), 1–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0921-5093(98)00909-5
- Cinca, N., Guilemany, J.M. (2012) Thermal spraying of transition metal aluminides: An overview. Intermetallics, 24, 6–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2012.01.020
- Cinca, N., Guilemany, J.M. (2013) An overview of intermetallics research and application: Status of thermal spray coatings. of Materials Research and Technology, 2(1), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2013.03.013
- Totemeier, T.C., Swank, W.D. (2002) Microstructure and stresses in HVOF sprayed iron aluminide coatings. Thermal Spray Techn., 11(3), 2–9. https://doi.org/10.1361/105996302770348808
- Wright, R.N., Totemeier, T.C. (2002) Microstructure and properties of iron aluminide coatings. Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory. Gang Ji et al. (2002) Surface engineering by thermal spraying nanocrystalline coatings: The case of iron aluminide. Materiaux, 1–3.
- Gang Ji, Elkedim, O., Grosdidier, T. (2005) Deposition and corrosion resistance of HVOF sprayed nanocrystalline iron aluminide coatings. Surface & Coatings Technology, 190, 406–416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2004.04.091
- Guilemany, J.M. et al. (2006) Studies of Fe–40Al coatings obtained by high velocity oxy-fuel. Ibid., 201, 2072–2079. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2006.04.045
- Guilemany, J.M., Cinca, N. (2007) High-temperature oxidation of Fe–40Al coatings obtained by HVOF thermal spray. Intermetallics, 15, 1384–1394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2007.04.013
- Guilemany, J.M. et al. (2009) FeAl and NbAl3 intermetallic-HVOF coatings: structure and properties. Thermal Spray Techn., 18, Issue 4, 536–545. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11666-009-9339-9
- Senderowski, C., Bojar, Z. (2008) Gas detonation spray forming of Fe–Al coatings in the presence of interlayer. Surface & Coatings Technology, 202, 3538–3548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2007.12.029
- Senderowski, C. et al. (2010) Microstructure characterization of D-gun sprayed Fe-Al intermetallic coatings. Intermetallics, 18(7), 1405–1409. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intermet.2010.01.015
- Suryanarayana, C. (2001) Mechanical alloying and milling. Progress in Mater. Sci., 46, 1–184. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6425(99)00010-9
- Arunachalam, V.S. (1990) Mechanical alloying. In: Actual problems of powder metallurgy. Moscow: Metallurgiya.
- Gang Ji, Grosdidier, T., Morniroli, J.P. (2007) Microstructure of a high-velocity oxy-fuel thermal-sprayed nanostructured coating obtained from milled powder. and Mater. Transact. A, 38A, 2455–2463. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-007-9299-y
- Kumar, S. et al. (2006) Characterization and comparison between ball milled and plasma processed iron-aluminium thermal spray coatings. Surface & Coatings Technology, 201, 1267–1275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2006.01.051
- Grosdidier, T., Tidu, A., Liao, H.L. (2001) Nanocrystalline Fe–40Al coating processed by thermal spraying of milled powder. Scripta Materialia, 44, 387–393. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6462(00)00611-4
- Borisova, A.L. et al. (2015) Phase and structural transformations in forming of intermetallics powders of Fe–Al system by MA method. Metallurgiya, 7/8, 135–143.
- Shorshorov, M.Kh., Kharlamov, Yu.A. (1978) Physical-chemical principles of gas detonation spraying of coatings. Moscow: Nauka.
- Zverev, A.I., Sharivker, S.Yu., Astakhov, E.A. (1979) Detonation spraying of coatings. Leningrad: Sudostroenie.