Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #2, 2017, pp. 8-14
Argon-arc welding of titanium and its alloys using fluxes (Review)
S.V. Akhonin and V.Yu. Belous
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute, NASU
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03680, Kiev, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In 1950–1980 PWI laid the scientific foundations of development of fluxes for welding and melting titanium and its alloys. Technology of automatic consumable electrode welding of titanium with application of oxygen-free fluxes was developed. Processes of tungsten electrode argon-arc welding over a layer of flux (TIG-F) and tungsten electrode welding with application of titanium flux-cored wire (TIG-FW) were developed. These methods expand the technological capabilities of tungsten electrode arc welding, provide high quality of titanium welded joints and guarantee absence of pores in welds. 17 Ref., 4 Tables, 9 Figures.
automatic arc welding, argon-arc welding,titanium alloys, consumable electrode, nonconsumable electrode, oxygen-free fluxes, flux-cored wire
- Gurevich, S.M. et al. (1986) Metallurgy and technology of welding of titanium and its alloys. Kiev: Naukova Dumka.
- Hoefer, H.W. (1958) Fusion welding of titanium in jet engine applications. Hawker-Siddley Techn. J., 1(1), 61–64.
- Gurevich, S.M. (1961) Fluxes for automatic welding of titanium alloys. Promyshlennost, 5, 55–59.
- Gurevich, S.M. (1960) Problems of metallurgy of welding of titanium. Titan i jego Splavy, Issue 3, 127–132.
- Gurevich, S.M. (1957) Submerged-arc welding of titanium. Promyshlennost, 4, 13–16.
- Gurevich, S.M., Didkovsky, V.P. (1960) Technology of electroslag welding of titanium alloy forgings. In: New welding processes. Moscow: Mashinostroenie.
- Gurevich, S.M. (1958) Technology of welding of parts from titanium and its alloys. In: on Advanced Sci.-Techn. and Production Experience. Kiev: AN SSSR.
- Gurevich, S.M. (1957) Some peculiarities of submerged-arc welding of titanium. Svarka, 5, 38–48.
- Timoshenko, A.N., Pidzhary, A.F., Bessonov, A.S. (1966) Method of argon-arc welding of titanium alloys. USSR author’s cert. 183303. Publ. 1966.
- Maslyukov, O.A. (1965) Prevention of porosity in argon-arc welding of titanium and other metals and alloys. In: of Pap. of All-Union Meeting of Fusion Welding of Thin Metals. Kiev: PWI, 49–53.
- Zamkov, V.N., Akhonin, S.V. (2001) New methods for welding titanium and manufacture of unique large-sized titanium semi-finished products. The Paton Welding J., 9, 33–39.
- Paton, B.E., Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. et al. (2000) Contraction of the welding arc caused by the flux in tungsten-electrode argon-arc welding. Ibid., 1, 5–11.
- Prilutsky, V.P., Yeroshenko, L.E., Zamkov, V.N. (1997) Distribution of vapours of metals and welding consumables in arc during TIG welding. In: of the ASM Int. Europ. Conf. on Welding and Joining Science and Technology (10–12 March 1977, Madrid, Spain).
- Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P., Topolsky, V.F. (2000) Consumables and methods of welding titanium for aerospace engineering application. of Advanced Materials, 32(3), 57–61.
- Paton, B.E., Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. (1998) Le soudage A-TIG du titane et de ses alliages. Soudage et Techniques Connexes, 52, 11–12.
- Prilutsky, V.P., Akhonin, S.V. (2007) Tungsten electrode argon-arc welding of titanium alloys using fluxes. In: of Int. Conf. on Titanium-2007 in CIS (Yalta, 15–18 April, 2007), 441–448.
- Prilutsky, V.P., Akhonin, S.V. (2014) TIG welding of titanium alloys using fluxes. Welding in the World, 58, 245–251. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40194-013-0096-5