Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #1, 2018, pp. 7-14
Effect of parameters of arc, laser and hybrid methods of welding on structure and properties of butt joints of high-strength steel S460M
V.D. Poznyakov, V.D. Shelyagin, S.L. Zhdanov, A.V. Bernatsky, A.A. Maksymenko and A.V. Siora
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine
11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The paper studies the effect of parameters of arc, laser and hybrid laser-arc welding on formation of structure and properties of weld metal and heat-affected zone of butt joints from high-strength low alloy steel S460M with yield point up to 480 MPa. It is shown that increase of rate of gas-shielded arc welding to 50 m/h (13.9 mm/s) allows receiving a quality weld with increased indices of static strength and impact toughness. Laser welding with increased cooling rate provokes reduction of the indices of ductility and impact toughness of weld metal that is related with formation of martensite hardening structure of weld metal and heat-affected zone of the welded joints revealing at higher cooling rate. Application of hybrid laser-arc welding method of steel S460M allows decreasing cooling rate of weld metal and heat-affected zone in comparison with laser welding method. This provides high level of mechanical properties and impact toughness of metal of these zones. 16 Ref., 1 Table, 5 Figures.
butt joints, high-strength steel, arc welding, laser welding, hybrid laser-arc welding, thermal cycle, structure peculiarities, mechanical properties
- Odessky, P.D., Molodtsov, A.F., Morozov, Yu.D. (2011) New effective low-alloy steels for building metallic structures. Montazhnye i Spetsialnye Raboty v Stroitelstve, 5 , 20–25 [in Russian].
- Poznyakov, V.D., Zhdanov, S.L., Zavdoveev, A.V. et al. (2016) Weldability of high-strength microalloyed steel S460M. The Paton Welding J., 12, 21–28. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.12.04
- Ufuah, E. (2013) Elevated temperature mechanical properties of butt welded connections made with high-strength steel grades S355 and S460M. In: of Int. Conf. on Design, Fabrication and Economy of Metal Structures (Miscolc, Hungary, April 24–26, 2013), 407–412. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-36691-8_62
- Grigoryants, A.G., Grezev, V.A. (2015) Special features of laser welding using fibre and CO2 Welding Int., 29(12), 968–973. https://doi.org/10.1080/09507116.2015.1012383
- Markovits, T., Takacs,J. (2010) Edge welding of laminated steel structure by pulsed Nd:YAG laser. Physics Procedia, 5 , Pt B, 47–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2010.08.028
- Moore, P.L., Howse, D.S., Wallach, E.R. (2004) Microstructures and properties of laser/arc hybrid welds and autogenous laser welds in pipeline steels. and Techn. of Welding and Joining, 9(4), 314–322. https://doi.org/10.1179/136217104225021652
- Kah, P., Salminen, A., Martikainen, J. (2010) Laser-arc hybrid welding processes (Review). The Paton Welding J., 6, 32–40.
- Atabak, M., Ma, J., Yang, G., Kovacevic, R. (2014) Hybrid laser/arc welding of advanced high-strength steel in different butt joint configurations. Materials & Design, 64 , 573–587. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.08.011
- Gu, X.Y., Duan, Z.Z., Gu, X.P. et al. (2015) Microstructure and mechanical properties of laser-MAG hybrid welded thick-section weathered steel joint. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., 81(5 ), 825–831. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-015-7286-9
- Cao, X., Wanjara, P., Huang, J. et al. (2011) Hybrid fiber laser-arc welding of thick section high-strength low-alloy steel. Materials & Design, 32(6 ), 3399–3413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.02.002
- Kelly, S.M., Brown, S.W., Tressler, J.F. et al. (2009) Using hybrid laser-arc welding to reduce distortion in ship panels. Welding J., 88(3), 32–36.
- Poznyakov, V.D., Shelyagin, V.D., Zhdanov, S.L. et al. (2015) Laser-arc welding of high-strength steels with yield strength of more than 700 MPa. The Paton Welding J., 10, 19–24. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2015.10.03
- Berdnikova, O., Poznyakov, V., Bushma, O. (2016) Laser and hybrid laser-arc welding of high strength-steel N-A-XTRA-70. Sci. Forum, 870, 630–635. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.870.630
- Berdnikova, O., Sydoretz, V., Alekseienko, T. (2014) Structure and properties of laser-welded joints from high-strength steels. Mech. Mater., 682 , 240–245. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.682.240
- Grigorenko, G.M., Poznyakov, V.D., Zuber, T.A. et al. (2017) Peculiarities of formation of structure in welded joints of microalloyed structural steel S460M. The Paton Welding J., 10, 2–8. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2017.10.01