Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #2, 2019, pp.17-24
Strength of welded joints of heat-hardenable aluminium alloys in TIG and friction STIR welding
A. G. Poklyatskii, S. I. Motrunich
O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine, 11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine.
Influence of zirconium and scandium modifiers in the filler wire and of arc oscillations due to electric current flowing through the filler section in consumable electrode argon-arc welding, as well as of friction stir welding process on formation of weld structure in sheet aluminium alloys 1460 and 1201, was studied. Curves of metal hardness distribution in the zone of permanent joint formation were plotted, and ultimate strength of samples was determined directly after welding and during their artificial ageing. It is shown that application of friction stir welding yields higher values of ultimate strength of the metal of welds and welded joints on aluminium alloys 1460 and 1201, than in nonconsumable electrode automated argon-arc welding with weld pool oscillations, even at application of welding wire with zirconium and scandium. Here, the maximum strength level (75% for alloy 1201 and 86% for alloy 1460), compared to base material, is achieved after artificial ageing of samples, at which phase transformations and processes of stabilization of the structure of metal after thermal impact, take place. 16 Ref., 1 Tabl., 4 Fig.
Keywords: heat-hardenable aluminium alloy, argon-arc welding with arc oscillation, friction stir welding, microstructure, hardness, strength
1. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Labur, T.M. (2013) Welding of modern structures of aluminium alloys. Kiev, SPE NASU [in Russian].
2. Beletsky, V.M., Krivov, G.A. (2005) Aluminium alloys (composition, properties, technology, application). In: Refer. Book. Ed. by I.N. Fridlyander. Kiev, COMINTEX [in Russian].
3. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Labur, T.M., Bernadsky, V.N., Makovetskaya, O.K. (2006) Aluminium and its alloys in modern welded structures. Kiev, Ekotekhnologiya [in Russian].
4. Mashin, V.S., Poklyatsky, A.G., Fedorchuk, V.E. (2005) Mechanical properties of aluminium alloys in consumable and nonconsumable electrode arc welding. The Paton Welding J., 9, 39-45.
5. Lukin, V.I. (1996) Sc is the prospective alloying element for filler materials. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 6, 13-14 [in Russian].
6. Ishchenko, A.Ya. (2003) Aluminium high-strength alloys for welded structures. Vol. 1: Advanced materials and technologies. Kyiv, Akademperiodyka, 50-82 [in Russian].
7. Davydov, V.G., Elagin, V.I., Zakharov, V.V., Rostova, T.D. (1996) On alloying of aluminium alloys with additions of scandium and zirconium. Metallovedenie i Termich. Obrab. Metallov, 8, 25-30 [in Russian].
8. Bondarev, B.I., Elagin, V.I. (1992) New aluminium alloys, doped with scandium. Tekhnologiya Lyogkikh Splavov, 5, 22-28 [in Russian].
9. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Labur, T.M. (1997) Weldable scandium-containing aluminium alloys. Welding and Surfacing Review, Harwood Academic Publisher, 9.
10. Zakharov, V.V. (1997) Stability of scandium solid solution in aluminium. Metallovedenie i Termich. Obrab. Metallov, 2, 15-20 [in Russian].
11. Ishchenko, A.Ya., Poklyatsky, A.G., LOzovskaya, A.V. et al. (1990) Influence of parameters of low-frequency modulation of rectangular bipolar current on weld structure in welding of aluminium alloys. Avtomatich. Svarka, 9, 23-27 [in Russian].
12. Brodyagina, I.V. (1998) Arc welding of aluminium alloys using magnetic fields. Svarochn. Proizvodstvo, 9, 48-51 [in Russian].
13. Poklyatsky, A.G., Ishchenko, A.Ya., Grinyuk, A.A. et al. (2002) Non-consumable electrode argon-arc welding of aluminium alloys with arc oscillations. The Paton Welding J., 2, 18-22.
14. Thomas, W.M., Nicholas, E.D., Needham, J.C., Church, M.G., Templesmith, P., Dawes, C.J. (1991) Friction stir butt welding. Int. Pat. Appl. PCT/GB 92/02203; GB Pat. Appl. 9125978.8.
15. Markashova, L.I., Poklyatsky, A.G., Kushnaryova, O.S. (2013) Influence of welding processes on the structure and mechanical properties of welded joints of aluminium alloy 1460. The Paton Welding, 3, 18-23.
16. Fedorchuk, V.E., Kushnaryova, O.S., Alekseenko, T.A., Falchenko, Yu.V. (2014) Peculiarities of alloying of weld metal of high-strength aluminium alloy welded joints with scandium. Ibid., 5, 28-32.