Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), # 5, 2019, pp.46-53
Features of technology and modern trends in the field of butt welding of polyethylene pipes (Review)
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine. 11 Kazimir Malevich Str., 03150 Kyiv, Ukraine.
Pipelines for the transportation of natural gas, cold water supply and drainage are one of the most significant elements of urban and rural infrastructure. Pipelines from polymeric materials, in particular polyethylene, are a modern alternative to steel pipelines, which during 15-20 years of operation are destroyed under the influence of chemical and electrochemical corrosion. In the world and in Ukraine, almost all new split pipelines for gas supply, cold water supply and drainage are built from polyethylene pipes. In Ukraine, especially in large cities, a practice of replacing old worn steel pipelines with new polyethylene and renovating using the method of tightening a polyethylene pipe into the steel pipeline has become widespread. One of the most technological methods of butt joining of polyethylene pipes of almost the whole range of outer diameters is welding with a heated tool. Equipment for this welding method is currently not manufactured in Ukraine. The imported installations for butt welding of polyethylene pipes operate according to a conventional technological scheme, developed a long time ago, some elements of which, due to the improvement of the polymeric materials itself, can be revised and simplified preserving the high quality of final welded joints. The aim of the work is to review the state of the art in the field of butt welding of plastic products, first of all, polyethylene pipes with the heated tool and its modifications, which are the most interesting from the technological point of view. 28 Ref., 5 Fig.
Keywords: butt welding with a heated tool, plastics, polyethylene pipes.
1. Qi, F., Huo, L., Zhang, Y., Jing, H. (2004) Study on fracture properties of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) pipe. Key Engineering Materials, 261-263, 153-158. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.261-263.153
2. Leskovics, K., Kollar, M., Barczy, P. (2006) A study of structure and mechanical properties of welded joints in polyethylene pipes. Mater. Sci. and Engin., 219, 138-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2005.12.019
3. Adnan, A. (2013) An analysis of electro-melting and hot element welding methods' safety used to join PE natural gas pipes. Int. J. of Electronics, Mechanical and Mechatronics, 3(2), 493-504.
4. DSTU-N B V.2.5-40:2009: Design and mounting of watersupply and severage systems from plastic pipes [in Russian].
5. DBN V.2.5-41:2009: Gas pipelines from polyethylene pipes. Design, construction [in Russian].
6. Shestopal, A.N., Vasiliev, Yu.S., Tarasenko, O.V., Tarnogrodsky, V.P. (1990) Reference book on welding and bonding of plastics. Ed. by Shestopal, A.N., G.N. Korab. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
7. Volkov, S.S. (2001) Welding and bonding of polymer materials. Moscow, Khimiya [in Russian].
8. Kataev, R.F. (2008) Welding of plastics: Manual. Ekaterinburg, UPI [in Russian].
9. Korab, N.G., Mineev, E.A. (2007) Critical remarks on welding methods of pipes from thermoplastic polymer materials. Polimernye Truby - Ukraina, 1, 53-55 [in Russian].
10. Grewell, D., Benatar, A.S. (2007) Welding of plastics: Fundamentals and new developments. International Polymer Processing XXII, Munich. https://doi.org/10.3139/217.0051
11. Kimelblat, V.I. (2014) Welding of PE pipes - tendencies of developments. Plastics, 135(6), 38-43 [in Russian].
12. Kargin, V.Yu., Stavskaya, T.V. (1999) To problem of polyethylene pipes PE 63, PE 80 and PE 100. Polimergaz, 2, 40-42 [in Russian].
13. Kataev, R.F. (2008) Welding of plastics: Manual. Ekaterinburg, UPI [in Russian].
14. Komarov G.V., Goncharenko, V.A. (2011) New technologies and equipment for welding of polymer materials. Pt 1. Polimernye Materialy, 12, 18-22 [in Russian].
15. Shadrin, A.A., Krivatkin, A.M. (1993) Butt welding of joints of composite material PA6-LT-20. Avtomatich. Svarka, 1, 42-44 [in Russian].
16. O'Konnor Kris (2012) Polyethylene pipelines: How to avoid defects of welding. Gaz Rossii, 3, 48-58 [in Russian].
17. Shestopal, A.N., Korab, G.N., Vasiliev, Yu.S. (1990) Reference book on welding and bonding of plastics. Kiev, Tekhnika [in Russian].
18. Goncharenko, V.A. (1995) Melting of thermoplast plate pressed to heated body. New materials and technologies. In: Abstr. of Papers of Russ. NTK. Direction: Composite, Ceramic, Powder Materials and Coatings (21-22 November 1995, Moscow). MGATU, 32 [in Russian].
19. Akkurt Adnan (2013) An analysis of electro-melting and hot element welding methods' safety used to join PE natural gas pipes. Int. J. of Electronics, Mechanical and Mechatronics, 3(2), 493-504.
20. Korab, G.N., Vakulenko, S.A., Savitsky, A.A. (1986) Criteria of selection of parameters in high-temperature welding of polyethylene pipes by hot tool. Avtomatich. Svarka, 6, 29-32 [in Russian].
21. Volkov, I.V., Kimelblat, V.I. (2011) Role of rheological properties in selection of main welding parameters. Vestnik Kazanskogo Tekhnologicheskogo Un-ta, 14, 119-123 [in Russian].
22. Kimelblat, V.I., Volkov, I.V., Glukhov, V.V. (2010) Optimization of technology of resistance butt welding. Taking into account the polymer properties. Polimernye Truby, 28(2), 32-36 [in Russian].
23. Starostin, N.P., Gerasimov, A.I. (2009) Welding of polymer pipes for gas pipelines at low temperatures. Neftegazovoe Delo, 25-27 [in Russian].
24. Prokopiev, N., Kimelblat, V.I. (2015) Practical problems of welding of polyethylene pipes. Polimernye Truby, 48(2), 60-63 [in Russian].
25. Zuev, M.A., Sheshnev, D.A. (2014) Equipment for welding of polyethylene pipes: Experience of repair and maintenance. Gaz Rossii, 2, 74-75 [in Russian].
26. Nesterenko, M.P., Galchun, A.M., Kondratenko, V.Yu., Skok, O.G. (2013) On efficiency of application of equipment with pneumatic actuator for butt welding of up to 400 mm diameter pipes from crystal amorphous polymers. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. on Welding and Related Technologies - Present and Future (Ukraine, Kyiv, 25-26 November 2013), 47-48.
27. Stokes, V.K. (1997) The hot-tool and vibration welding of acrylonitride-butadiene-styrene. Polymer Engineering and Science, 37(4), 372-377. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.11713
28. Stokes, V. (2001) A phenomenological study of the hot-tool welding of thermoplastics. Pt 3: Polyetherimide. Polymer, 42, 775-792. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(00)00395-5