Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #2, 2020, pp.11-17
Impact of TIG welding on the structure and mechanical properties of joints of pseudo-β-titanium alloy
S.V. Akhonin, V.Yu. Bilous, R.V. Selin, I.K. Petrichenko
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine. 11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine.
Structural pseudo-β-titanium alloys attract a lot of interest in fabrication of critical structures. This alloy class includes alloys with the structure represented by one β-phase after hardening or normalizing in the β-region. The alloy weldability is an important factor at application of pseudo-β-titanium alloys in aircraft and rocket engineering. By their mechanical characteristics, the welded joints of modern pseudo-β-titanium alloys should match the level of base metal mechanical properties. In this work, the impact of argon arc welding, as well as further heat treatment on the phase composition, structure and mechanical properties of welded joints of pseudo-β-titanium alloy was studied. It was established that as a result of the impact of thermal cycle of welding predominantly β-phase in the amount of 77% is recorded in the weld metal of joints of pseudo-β-alloy V19. Application of VT1-00sv filler wire enhances the quantity of dispersed α-phase particles and reduces the quantity of β-phase in the weld metal to 60%, respectively. Annealing results in formation of a uniform, homogeneous finely-dispersed two-phase (α+β)-structure with ultimate tensile strength values of welded joints on the level of σt
= 1010 MPa, that exceed the respective base metal values by 12%. 16 Ref., 5 Tabl., 8 Fig.
Keywords: pseudo-β -titanium alloys, TIG welding, mechanical properties
1. Iliin, A.A., Kolachev, B.A., Polkin, I.S. (2009) Titanium alloys. Composition, structure, properties: Refer. book. Moscow, VILS-MATI [in Russian].
2. Khorev, A.I. (2012) Development of titanium β-alloy VT19 on the base of complex alloying. Vestnik Mashinostroeniya, 7, 69-71 [in Russian].
3. Khorev, A.I. (2012) Titanium superalloy VT 19. Tekhnologiya Mashinostroeniya, 6, 2-5 [in Russian].
4. Moiseev, V.N. (1998) β-titanium alloys and prospects of their development. Metal Science and Heat Treatment, 12, 11-14 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02468508
5. Khorev, A.I. (2002) Titanium is a high-speed aviation and cosmonautics. Tekhnologiya Lyogkikh Splavov, 4, 92-97 [in Russian].
6. Cui C., Hu B., Zhao L., Liu, S. (2011) Titanium alloy production technology, market prospects and industry development. Materials&Design, 32, 3, 1684-1691. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2010.09.011
7. Blashchuk, V.E., Shelenkov, G.M. (2005) Fusion welding of titanium and its alloys (Review). The Paton Welding J., 2, 35-42.
8. Patel N.S., Patel R.B. (2014) A review on parametric optimization of TIG welding. International Journal of Computational Engineering Research, 4, 1, 27-31.
9. Huang J.L., Warnken N., Gebelin J.C. (2012) On the mechanism of porosity formation during welding of titanium alloys. Acta Materialia, 60, 6-7, 3215-3225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2012.02.035
10. Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. (2004) Theory and practice of TIG-F (A-TIG) welding (Review). The Paton Welding J., 9, 11-14.
11. Dey H.C., Albert S.K., Bhaduri A.K., Mudali U.K. (2013) Activated flux TIG welding of titanium. Welding in the world, 57, 6, 903-912. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40194-013-0084-9
12. Kostin, K.V. et al. (2016) Influence of complex alloying on improvement of mechanical properties and strength of titanium alloys. Omsky Nauchny Vestnik, 4(148), 45-47.
13. Gurevich, S.M., Zamkov, V.N., Prilutsky, V.P. et al. Welding flux. USSR author`s cert. 439363 [in Russian].
14. Akhonin, S.V., Belous, V.Yu., Petrichenko, I.K., Selin, R.V. (2016) Influence of filler metal on structure and properties of welded joints of high-strength two-phase titanium alloys produced using argon arc welding. The Paton Welding J., 1, 39-43. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.01.06
15. Akhonin, S.V., Belous, V.Y., Berezos, V.A., Selin, R. V. (2018) Effect of TIG welding on the structure and mechanical properties of the pseudo-β-titanium alloy VT19 welded joints. Mat. Sci. Forum, 927, 112-118. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.927.112
16. Hryhorenko, S.G., Achonin, S.W., Belous, W.J., Selin, R.W. (2016) Heat treatment effect on the structure and properties of electron beam welded joints made of high-alloy titanium. Biuletyn Instytutu Spawalnictwa, 60(5), 90-95. https://doi.org/10.17729/ebis.2016.5/12
Advertising in this issue: