Avtomaticheskaya Svarka (Automatic Welding), #9, 2020, pp. 47-50
Double heat treatment of welded joints of railway rails
E.O. Paton Electric Welding Institute of the NAS of Ukraine.
11 Kazymyr Malevych Str., 03150, Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
The paper presents the results of heat treatment of welded joints of R65 rails from K76F steel, produced by flash-butt welding.
It is shown that after pre-annealing of butt welded joints with further accelerated heating up to the temperature of heat treatment
and quenching of the rail rolling surface by compressed air, the microstructure of welded butt joint metal changes, grain size
is considerably refined, hardness across the HAZ width is increased, and deviation of metal hardness along the joint line from
base metal level becomes smaller. 12 Ref., 1 Tabl., 5 Fig.
rails, welded butt joints, heat treatment, microstructure, hardness
1. Genkin, I.Z. (2003) Heat treatment of rail welded joints in induction units. The Paton Welding J., 9, 38-41.
2. Nesterov, D.K., Sapozhkov, B.E., Levchenko, N.F. et al. (1990) Heat treatment of rail steel using induction heating. Metallovedenie i Termich. Obrab. Metallov, 8, 30-34 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00700711
3. Feshchukov, A.N. (2016) Unit for heat treatment of rail welded joints in the field. RF, Pat. 57752, Int. C. E01B31/18 [in Russian].
4. Rezanov, V.A., Fedin, V.M., Bashlykov, A.V. (2013) Differential quenching of rail welded joints. Vestnik NII Zheleznodorozhnogo Transporta, 2, 28-33 [in Russian].
5. Skoblo, T.S., Sapozhkov, V.E., Aleksandrova, N.M., Sidashenko, A.I. (2014) Quality of thermally-hardened rails and bases. Examinations. Theory. Equipment. Technology. Operation. Ed. by T.S. Skoblo. Kharkov, LLC «Shchedra Sadyba Plus» [in Russian].
6. Stalinsky, D.V., Rudyuk A.S., Sapozhkov, V.E., Nesterov D.K. (2007) Spheroidizing of carbide phase in hypereutectoid steel and its influence on rail properties. Metallurg. i Gornorud. Promyshlennost, 2, 48-54 [in Russian].
7. Ostrovsky, G.A., Sarrak, S.I., Shepelyakovsky K.Z. (1967) Influence of austenitic grain change on properties of carbon steels after low-temperature tempering. Metallovedenie i Termich. Obrab. Metallov, 6, 56-62 [in Russian].
8. Panteleimonov, E.O. (2017) Complex for heat treatment of rail welded joints in the field. Ukraine, Pat. on utility model 114593, Int. Cl. E01B31/18 [in Ukrainian].
9. Pantelejmonov, E.O. (2020) Module for heat treatment of rail welded joints. Ukraine, Pat. on utility model 143908, Int. Cl. E01B 31/18 (2006.01), C21D 1/10 (2006.01) [in Ukrainian].
10. Pantelejmonov, E.O. (2016) Induction device for rail welded joints. Ukraine, Pat. on utility model 109123, Int. Cl. C21D 1/10 (2006.01) [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.10.08
11. Pantelejmonov, E.A., Gubatyuk, R.S. (2016) Induction device for heat treatment of welded joints of railway rails. The Paton Welding J., 10, 41-43. https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2016.10.08
12. Panteleymonov, E.A. (2018) On the problem of heat treatment of welded joints of railway rails, Ibid., 3, 36-39 https://doi.org/10.15407/tpwj2018.03.08